1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a great day

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Jun 6, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK I now want to punch my best friend hard in the face. I'll tell you why in a moment.

I've just been to the doctors to get my letter for the passport office. She was very helpful and gave me the letter happily. So I can send that off and get my new passport soon. Good times.

Only she got asking me about Charing Cross. For those of you who don't know the NHS procedure, 'they' have to search for funding and when they get funding they refer you to the GIC (In my case Charing Cross).

There is a 12 month waiting list for Charing Cross from time of referral.

In order to get referred I had to speak to local mental health and convince them it was necessary. I did this in December. They said they would tell the doctor to refer me.

Great stuff.

Apparently not.

I've been to the doctors several times since then and asked about my referral and how it was coming along. I was told they would look into it and let me know.

This morning I was told that they have not referred me. At all. They have not even found funding yet. Which means I have spent the last few months happy in the knowledge that I had been referred to the clinic and it turns out I haven't and won't be until they eventually find funding.

Nobody has ever bothered to tell me this. I've asked and been told "We will look into that".

So as you can imagine I am more than a little upset. I don't know if I can get hormones on the NHS before I've had my initial assessment because it seems all the guidelines say different things.

So I am upset, partly because this adds a so much extra time before I can actually make progress. I am also upset because I consider it part of a doctors job to be honest with you about things. If there is bad news to tell, you FUCKING TELL THEM.

You wouldn't tell a cancer patient their treatment was working nicely and they should be cancer free soon, when they know damn well it isn't working, so why the hell would you tell someone their referral had been dealt with when it isn't even close to that.

I tried to tell my friend and he took it upon himself to tell me that I had "skipped the thinking and gone straight to being angry". He's partly right, I am angry, but I find his particular brand of knowitallism to be unbearable today with his implication that I didn't bother to think about WHY this might have happened.

He then went and told me that it was MY fault, and started suggesting that the doctor had a reason for not telling me, specifically that I wouldn't handle it well...

So now I'm really fucked off.

2. justjade

That really sucks, Holly. Sorry to hear that. :frowning2:

I know the feeling. I've gone through the same thing with stuff at work. Just hang in there, hon. Your persistence will pay off unless, of course, the doctor's just a dick. I seriously don't see how it would be your fault that they didn't tell you. Sounds to me like they're making lame excuses.

3. Evil Kitten

Definitely not your fault. You trusted your doctor to do what was procedure for this and they failed you. Personally I say you are justifiably angry and be annoyed at your friend too. There should be no reason whatsoever that a doctor should not be telling you what is happening with anything they are dealing with regarding you, least of all waiting times regarding something that has a definite impact on your mental health. I know when I had to wait for when my initial appointments for people regarding my depression it was making it worse and not good for anxiety either.

Hope things get on track soon. (*hug*)

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely not your fault Holly! You handled it fine, you have every right to be pissed!
    Sadly, even though our healthcare is free, it's in complete shambles and is likely to get worse! Just hang in there! (*hug*)