1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the real definition of a masculine or feminine voice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by straightqueer20, Jun 9, 2014.

1. straightqueer20

I am always told I sound like a male. Like my voice passes as male. I don't really get it. Because I just sound like a boy most women sound like boys. I have a chesty voice so a bit deeper but I was wondering like what makes people decipher the difference? How does one without T manage to change their voice more or less masculine when they desire to pass?

2. Unkempt Harold

Your voice is like a musical instrument and can be tuned with practice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. to a certain extent

3. Calix

I don't know. Apparently when I'm comfortable my voice lowers automatically. But when It's strangers and saying 'thanks' or 'excuse me' I'm more nervous and so my voice automatically goes higher and gives me away. It's annoying and I'm working on it, but so far it's quite difficult.

4. Yosia

Apparently i have a quite female voice because i speak really softly and my voice is quite high. I still want it to be more so ^.^

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that with most people, a deeper/lower tone is usually associate with masculinity whereas a higher/softer tone is usually associated with females. There is likely to be differing interpretations on this.

To me, my voice is deep but, this is because the sound has to travel through bone. However, to most people, I've been told that it is a very feminine voice. On recordings, it has a high tone to it. It kind of reminds me of a type of bell. There is nothing remotely ambiguous or masculine about it. However, I once talked in an barely inaudible voice, and I got called a "Sir". I remember the tone being both soft and a little guttural.

6. straightqueer20

On the phone it matters what I'm doing on the phone. Like if I'm talking to a place that gets a lot of young people I'll be called sir. I was calling walmart once and I got sir and ma'am during the same conversation. Also like at this place they have neutral bathrooms. I got a knock on the door answered and got addressed as sir. I have a guttural voice. I've been told I sound like a male child around 12-14 year olds. I obviously lack the testosterone in my voice. I usually present as myself I'm perceived as male because of my height and build and mannerisms. I have an easier time in general taking the male bathroom. I wear make up some just think I'm a guy who wears make up. When I talk though it's hit or miss really. Because I'm too tall to be like that young for a boy. People usually think I'm about 15 or 16 not an almost prepubescent boy.

But I remember once I was freaking out once when I was 13 and my mom said I sounded like a man. But it's true when I'm more upset I sound more male. It's just my voice at its most steady guttural moments. I can also sound really light which is my singing/stripper voice. But I'm not singing at all it's just I'm talking the same way I would if I sang. My head voice when actually singing is a mix of Britney spears and leah nash in sound. It's a prettier light airy seductive friendly voice type but I sound like 14 year old girl a teenage girl. Sometimes though with this voice it gets mixed with my normal voice. Like it sort of slides down/slips. I can't really keep either voice too long though. I lose my singing voice if I use the light voice one too long. I can't actually do that other voice unless I'm upset. Because it's the only time naturally comes out. But I can steady my voice. Which is my natural voice. But I don't really sound like an adult. I hate it because I'm not taken seriously because I'm thought just to be a kid. When I am actually 20 years old.

7. straightqueer20

I have issues with certain words going higher like when I ask a question.