1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masculinity and Femininity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by altcipher, Jun 10, 2014.

1. altcipher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What does masculine mean to you? What does feminine mean to you?

Also are these "opposites"?

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm also trying to figure this out. To me, femininity has more to do with grace in the mannerisms. Masculinity, I don't know, seriously.

3. Kyubi

I guess it's like trying to explain a color to a blind person. I have no idea on how to even explain this to myself. Maybe we just know?

4. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Both are just social constructs. Masculine traits are seen as typical of men, feminine traits are seen as typical of women. So to me, masculine and feminine, and even the terms male and female are just social constructs, and therefore in a way also normative terms.

5. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always thought of them to be like, two forces of energy in our bodies, masculine, focuses on you, your confidence and self-worth and feminine, focuses on others, you willingness and ability to help others and they people need a balance of these tow to live in harmony with others

6. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Masculinity = possession of the qualities traditionally associated with men.
    Femininity = possession of the qualities traditionally associated with women.

To me, yes they are opposites :slight_smile:, I have both :rolle: :confused:.

7. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know, it is confusing, isn't it. However, keep in mind, they are just social constructs, that is al they are. Identifying with a certain quality does not make you any less of a man or woman, really.

8. girlpower

yes. agree here they are just social constructs. as with me, i'm mostly feminine especially when talking to guys.. not deliberately but that's how i am. but somtimes in front of few of my female friends my 'too' feminine side vanishes and suddenly i become more casual n all fun like guys.

9. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, very confusing. I don't like having more femininity than masculinity ( 70% to 30% or more :dry: )

10. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I get it. However, we'll just have to learn to live with it, I guess.

11. Minnie

I see "masculine" and "feminine" as being purely adjectives selected by language and not necessarily representative of gender. So through culture and blah blah blah traits such as muscle, rowdiness are masculine whereas calm and softness are feminine? Which of course can't represent its supposed gender since females can be aggressive and males can be very soft. But I do think there are valid roots to their meanings, albeit incomplete and possibly biased. It's fair to say that generally men are abc and "masculine" and women are xyz and "feminine".
    But idk, one of the things I love about the male gender is, to me personally, the rowdiness. I know a lot of guys aren't like that but I see it as a guy thing.
    Ultimately I think gender is an instinct in that you recognise men and/or women as being the same as you and you know what parts you "should" have (almost like a brain-body coordination) and behaviour is a result of your personality. So people who know they are male can be really feminine and people who know they are women can be very masculine, without necessarily being non-binary.