1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you identify as something other than cis if you don't get physical dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bright Eyes, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Bright Eyes

So hey everybody!

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my gender, and the more I think, the more I suspect that I am gender nonbinary. Sometimes I feel like a girl, sometimes I feel like a boy. Mostly, I feel like me.

I learned that dysphoria come in two types: social and physical. I don't have much physical dysphoria. I don't mind that my body is female. I like to wear boys clothing sometimes and I like to wear girls clothing sometimes and I get a very distinct feeling from each. And when I'm wearing the wrong clothing it just feels bad. I do get social dysphoria, for example, my name unbearably reeks of girl and I'm going to shorten it. It bothers me that I am expected to be girl and do things that are girl when I do not feel like one. My mother forces me to only shop in the women's department and it makes me horribly frustrated.

Anyway, I was wondering if you can still identify as something other than what you were born as and not get much physical dysphoria?

Thanks for reading! :smilewave

2. PeytonRose

I don't see why not....

I mean, why put a label on it? If you're happy being you, if you're happy dressing how you feel like depending on the day, weather, or whatever, I see no reason as to putting a label on it because you're HAPPY.

And at the end of the day isn't that what counts the most? :wink:

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Personally I think social dysphoria counts, so yes you can :slight_smile:

4. Nick07

I believe you are who you feel you are even if you don't struggle with anything, physically or socialy :slight_smile:

5. birdking

Yeah, but keep in mind that just because you don't fit stereotypical gender roles, doesn't mean you're a certain gender. Men can like "female" things, women can like "male" things.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I've seen a bunch of threads here like that haha, it's a little frustrating.

You can identify however makes you comfortable.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    110% agree.

7. Fennec

Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I identify as both male and female and sometimes something in between even though I'm biologically female and have little (practically nonexistent) body dysphoria. I'm completely at peace with my body as it is, and however, I also know that some men, born as men, show just as much if not more "femininity" as I do. Were I biologically a man, I would still dress and act much as I do now.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Turn your question around. How many cis women are sitting here going "I hate being known as female in social situations?"

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I assume that it is possible. In fact, I remember that someone once told me that sexuality existed on an expansive spectrum. It seems to me that the same would also go for gender.

With me, I have never particularly felt like either gender. My body is female yet, I've never connected as being female. While, I have pretty much always leaned towards a masculine side, I don't see myself as being male. It's like I'm stuck somewhere in the middle. I guess that I do have a lot of psychical dysphoria, seeing as I never wanted the majority, if not all, of the aspects that come along with being born female. (etc.)