1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling With Women as a Girly Guy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I know this doesn't sound like a gender issue, but let me explain.

I'm a girly, kind, shy, and sensitive guy, at least on the inside, and yet I'm completely straight. But I struggle a lot to keep women interested, and they often end up just wanting to be friends in the end. A lot of them even talk about the guy they are interested in right in front of me. How can they be so heartless?

So this latest one I've dated told me she has something going on with someone else and that she just wants to be friends but that she's willing to talk about anything....which was totally frustrating to me, and made me cry....again.

I now wonder a few things:

1. Should I take her up on this offer and tell her that I am really girly and sensitive and would want to talk about these issues and possibly try on her clothes? Or should I just let this one fly away too? It would certainly be easier and less harmful to my pride to simply cut her out of my life.

2. How do I meet women who are authentically interested in girly sensitive types?

3. Do I have to project myself in front of women differently, in a more masculine way, to get better results? I hate to admit it, but most girls are interested in masculine types and it's very hard to find one who's not, even when they don't admit it. But I just want to be myself.

4. It's so hard not for me to be a little misanthropic and even a little misogynistic after getting heartbroken time and time again. How can I combat this?

2. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sorry to inform you, but being interested in someone who isn't you doesn't make a girl 'heartless'. You may want to work on your misogyny issues first.

3. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No, it absolutely doesn't make a girl heartless to be interested in someone else. But it does make her heartless (even if she's unaware of it) to tell me about another guy she likes better for a pretty lengthy period of time when I'm dating her, or I have dated her- and this has happened to me multiple times.

I use the word misogyny very lightly, and ironically. I don't hate women and I always defend women when people use derogatory terms like "bitch". (though my misanthropic tendencies are pretty strong). But I do hate having my emotions crushed time and time again.

#3 Snidi, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So you're saying that it's wrong for a girl to be interested in someone else if she dated you at some point in the past? I'm sorry buddy, but just because you dated a girl once does not mean that you've laid claim to her and that she's somehow obligated to only be interested in you.

5. Unkempt Harold

Slow down Jenny. She was a total ass to be dating him and then in normal conversation talk about someone she likes better.

I'd say don't change ANYTHING about yourself. If those girls are dumb enough to want a brute, let them find out how much they REALLY like it.

6. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I never said that either. I'm saying that she doesn't have to tell me about it directly, when she knows I have a crush on her, does she? That's just wrong, I'm sorry, there's no need to mention another guy.

Anyway, yeah. If anything, I'm just jealous of women for being praised to be sensitive and girly. And it's frustrating to be turned down for having those very same qualities, just because I'm a man.

7. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why should a woman have to 'watch what she says' around you just because you're harboring unreciprocated and undesired feelings toward her?

8. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Because she's either currently dating me or she has dated me? I just think it's common etiquette, I wouldn't talk about a girl I liked better in front of a girl I was dating (Though I'm guilty of having done it once and I feel terrible for it). To me, it's courtesy, but I'm happy to agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

#8 Snidi, Jun 12, 2014
  9. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's not courtesy, that's policing someone else's thoughts and actions. Look bro, misogyny doesn't always imply big nasty fellows ranting about how much they hate women. Misogyny more often than not shows up in little actions and mannerisms that a lot of men don't even recognize because they don't need to think about it. Misogyny is treating a woman not as a friend and fellow human being, but a prize to be won if you keep at it hard enough. Misogyny is expecting a woman to change her thoughts and actions around your feelings, even if they're not something she wants. Misogyny is feeling like you're owed a woman's affection or desire simply because you're 'a nice guy'. Maybe when a girl says she just wants to be friends, try actually thinking of her as a friend and not as someone you might be able to 'win over' if you're nice enough to her.

10. Unkempt Harold

Jesus Jenny. It's called TACT. And no she can totally turn around and tell him, " you know what your ugly and inadequate". Doesn't make her any less heartless.

11. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, it is rude to straight up insult someone to their face. It isn't rude to openly express interest in someone else.

12. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think it is extremely hurtful, because it implies I'm not as good as someone else. But maybe we can agree to disagree? I don't care to argue. (Though I do apologize for using the word "misogyny", it wasn't what I meant)

#12 Snidi, Jun 12, 2014
  13. Unkempt Harold

AAAANYWAY. Shidi, there's 101 women out there who would LOVE to have you as a boyfriend :icon_wink trust me X)

14. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you, that means a lot :slight_smile:. I'm trying not to let past hurts get in the way of finding someone who cares about me for who I am.

I have no desire to play any kind of dating game, I just want to be myself, and be acknowledged for doing so!

15. Unkempt Harold

If dark souls has taught me anything, it's never quit (*hug*)

16. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    And there's the root of your problem. You find it worse for a woman who isn't interested in you to be able to speak freely of her own desires than for her to insult you. You may not realize this, but women pick up on this kind of attitude. The 'nice guy' schtick has been around for quite a while, and it's not fooling anyone. You came here looking for advice on women, so my advice is to try and realize these misogynistic tendencies and try to change them. Try meeting women without the expectation that they owe you anything. Don't get emotionally invested in someone and then act like they're in the wrong for not feeling the same. Women pick up on these little mannerisms.

17. Unkempt Harold

I'll just. I'll just be leaving now >.>

18. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, can't we all just be civil? Secondly...

No one has an answer to this other than to let life happen. If you're very invested in finding someone, you might try a dating site, matchmaking service or speed-dating. Personally, I feel that it's better to leave things to fate.

If you're projecting something artificial, you are lying to the girl and really not deserving of whatever affections she unknowingly bestows upon you. Of course, we try harder to hold the attention of women we care for but making an effort to be at your best is very different from making an effort not to be yourself.

By remembering that you are not entitled to any woman. Being in a relationship is a privilege, not a right.

19. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

I definitely realize that being in a relationship is a privilege, and not a right. At the end of the day, we are often alone, and we have to depend on ourselves first. That is what attracts other people to be around us. Even if a relationship fosters, there is no guarantee that it will last. People change their hearts. People get sick. Bad things happen. So I just want to enjoy every moment with everyone and show them that I care when I have the chance. So you're right- it is essential for me to continue being myself.

That being said, it's really tough for me to combat loneliness and emotional withdrawal. And it's tough for me to spend so much time opening up to someone, only to get hurt before a true relationship can even begin. Not to say it was all for naught.

I'm not used to be friends with someone after dating them either, no matter how brief. In all cases, the friendship failed for one reason or another. Should I be open to giving this a shot?

20. Unkempt Harold

I think if she displayed a lack of empathy than personally is respectfully decline her friendship.