1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

voice change

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jesseve, Jun 12, 2014.

1. jesseve

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi all,

I just started oestrogen not long ago, and I know a lot of people say it has no effect on the voice, but it has had a profound effect on mine. I've lost my lower voice range and my voice range is now almost that of a woman's.

I think it's because my voice was never that deep to begin with, and because I started oestrogen relatively early (early twenties). Hence, the oestrogen is probably narrowing my voice box or something like that.

However, I seem to have lost the ability to sing properly. I was a good singer before taking hormones. Now, the power in my voice is gone, and my voice seems really breathy, soft and weak. Can this be remedied?

Thanks all! =)

2. KayJay

No idea how to fix it, maybe just practice a lot? :s

You are super duper lucky in my opinion though, voice is really tough to get right!

3. jesseve

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the reply! Haha, well I guess I'm lucky I won't slip into a man voice and frighten everyone off. =P

Also, I know I have the pitch right, but I'll still have to practise the way I speak so that I sounds feminine - there's that manner that women speak that's quite hard to get right.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to practise singing from scratch. It's really weird though, because I never expected having to learn to sing again - considering that before the hormones I was a lead singer/backup vocalist, albeit in small venues.

4. PeytonRose

I haven't started estrogen yet but can't wait to do so. I've always had a higher voice though so maybe I'll luck out and have a more feminine voice. Who knows?

5. jesseve

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, not sure how many of you know Chinese, but I've attached a sample of my voice saying, "Duì a, hěn kě'ài a" or 对啊,很可爱啊.

It's really high-pitched and it's aimed at being the stereotypical cute Chinese girl voice. Hope it sounds okay to you! :slight_smile:

Attached Files: