1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family / Transitioning / coming out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I love BMTH, Jun 13, 2014.

1. I love BMTH

I came out to my dad today (I had told my mom before) and they told me they love me no matter what but I feel as if their not taking me genuinely serious. They won't stop calling me by female pronouns and are still calling by my birth name which we discussed NOT doing, they blew me off when I talked about a binder and wouldn't even listen to me when I talked about coming out to my brother and some other close ones. I just need some advice for getting them to have an actual conversation and listening to my feelings and needs

(Also yes I do know that I'm extremely lucky for having open minded parents and I love them for it)

2. PeytonRose

Politely correct them when they get your name/pronouns wrong? It's what I've been doing at work and it seems to be working nicely (though I do understand that parents and coworkers are two different entities.)

Also, keep dressing as yourself as much as you're comfortable doing and I'm sure they'll get with the program. Perhaps they think this might be just "a phase." Perhaps show them it's not and remind them it's not if you haven't had that conversation with them already.

3. Calix

I had similar issues with my parents. I just corrected them for two-three weeks until they got sick and tired and blew up in my face. They then agreed to use the pronouns/name provided I stopped correcting them :slight_smile: They still mess up, but it happens. It's definitely a lot harder for my mum.

4. SockPuppet

It probably won't be an overnight thing that they acknowledge, or that it sinks in, that they have a son whom they thought was a daughter. As long as they're accepting, or at least open to it, which is sounds like they are, just try and have a little patience...like training a puppy. Just politely remind them about what you talked about. At least for a while.

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    how long have they known? it takes a bit longer for older people to adjust, trust me on that one :lol: also, they've known you longer than you've been alive and you were one gender to them, now your not what they've known, it's a bit of a shock im sure. give them time and gentle guidance to who you are.

6. birdking

My parents took awhile too, but it's just because they had trouble calling me something different so suddenly. They had known me as my birth name and "she" for almost 16 years before they finally started calling me the right pronouns and name.

It takes a while and it's hard at first but they'll come around!