1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

packing and binding

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ginger cthulhu, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ginger cthulhu

Thoughts? Preferences? Experiences?
    I'm interested in both for myself, but I want to know more about it (do's and don'ts, advice, etc.)

2. SockPuppet

Not entirely my area of expertise, obviously, but I love me my trans brothers, so I've read a bit about it, and I do know as much as to say don't use an ace bandage or the like for binding, as it compresses the ribcage, but rather use a proper binder. As for packing, there's always the old standby or trans and cis boys the world over with small junk, a roll of socks, at least as a cheap starting point.
    Not sure about other options, but I did watch an interesting movie the other day, this French movie called 'Tomboy' where a 10(ish) year old 'girl' passes herself off as a boy for the summer, and at one point she goes swimming, and makes her own packing material out of Play-Doh. Good movie, though the ending annoyed me.

3. earthlvr510

Yes, definitely don't use an ace bandage. I did for a while because I was desperate honestly but it hurts, A LOT. They role up and shift all over the place and they are made to get tighter while you wear them so they constrict every time you breath in. Its ok if you find yourself without a binder for a few days or so but any longer is dangerous. There are tons of different types of binders and packers out there, I prefer underworks binders and tranzwear packers, but that's just me. If your strapped for cash, lets face it who isn't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, there area a bunch of groups that offer cheap or free binders to trans folks and tranzwear has tons of diy stp's (stand to pees) and clearance sales and all so you can get packers and all for wicked cheap. The sock trick is an oldy but a goody, it doesn't look quite as realistic as a packer but is obviously way cheaper. Good luck, hope this helped :slight_smile:

4. ginger cthulhu

Thank you both!!

5. Unkempt Harold

yeah never put pressure on the chest

6. Acm

Acm Guest

If you bind you should either buy a professionally made one, layer sports bras, or try to make one yourself. NEVER use ace bandages or duct tape. Also when wearing a binder make sure that you can breathe comfortably and don't wear it for more than 8-9 hours.

As far as packing goes there's ones you could buy online or there's online tutorial for making one (like filling a condom with gel) or you could just roll up a sock and stuff it in there. My only advice is try no to make it too big because then it might be too obvious and attract attention also make sure it's secure so it doesn't fall down your pants.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been doing both since I was in high school and I haven't looked back. I took several months off of binding because I was doing it improperly to the point where I'd get dizzy after binding for fifteen minutes.

I recommend investing in a professionally, good quality made one like ACM said. I don't like DIY based binders because they don't do the job as it should and you risk hurting yourself way more than you would with one from say Underworks. However, you have to remember the basic rules. Know your body and when you've had enough, but never exceed 8 hours at once or sleep in it. Simple as that. As he also added, ACE bandages are pretty much the worst sin you can commit in the binding world (next to duct tape god knows why someone would go that direction). Even as a last resort, don't go to it.

Packing is an adventure in its own rights. With binding, you're usually very limited--but packing it's different. You can make your own (sock method or using the "gak pack" technique of hair gel and condoms) or buying one online. There's so many choices out there so you're bound to find something you like; especially with harnesses and such devices to keep it in place so you don't have mishaps. There's that if it includes an STP but that's another story.

With packing, it becomes trickier than binding IMO when it comes to sizing. I hear guys say they stick to smaller packers (ex: the XS Mr. Limpy which is 3.5 inches) over larger ones (ex: Sailor - 5 Inches and beyond) to avoid it looking weird or causing unwanted attention; but at the same time I see and hear guys buying larger ones (6+ inches) and not having problems. I can't really give advice on packer shopping other than look at the reviews other people post and judge from there/

8. ginger cthulhu

You've all been incredibly helpful. I've looked at some websites with harness/packers ... I've found one that has a bendable core, allowing for either soft or erect at a moments notice. I've not met someone yet who has used an STP, and I'm curious as to how well they work?

9. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    STPs are great for when you're trying to pass in public men's bathrooms and there's not a stall open. Other than that they're just really cool to have when you want to feel super manly. Really they're not that hard to figure out, it's just a matter of finding one that suits your needs and works for you. Just remember to practice a lot, preferably in the shower, so you don't have an accident when you're just trying to pee in peace.

10. ginger cthulhu

Awesome, thanks!

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've one used a medicine spoon based method and it doesn't work well for my anatomy. I've seen others that use a nipple base, which is sort of like going in a cup at the doctor's office (like the STP Fitz) and some are like the peecock 3-in-1 where the receptical is built into the packer so you just form a seal with it to yourself and you're set.

I plan on eventually getting one like the latter to see how it goes. I'd recommend looking around and seeing the reviews; especially if you want something like the peecock which is a packer, a "play" device and a STP.

12. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ehh, don't bind with ace bandages. Ever. Tried it once and regretted it. I bind with a binder.
    I don't pack, it's not necessary for passing here for some reason and I am still mostly closeted so yeah

13. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used an STP as a teenager (waaaaay before I knew I was trans, which still pisses me the hell off). Anyway, I think there was only like one kind back then, the Jane Go, or something like that :lol: I found it too much hassle to be worth it but I'm sure there are better ones out there now.

I'm still on the fence about a packer myself. As far as binders, I got mine from Amazon but they are made by Underworks, just the Amazon price is a little cheaper. Success will depend on your chest size. I'm DDDs and binding doesn't do much for me.

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I can't buy a binder right now I usually just wear a sports bra and a baggy shirt which seems to do the trick for me...If it doesn't work I have a homemade binder I made out of elastic but I prefer not wearing it because it's uncomfortable. I don't really pack much besides occasionally using a sock when I'm alone. I'm too paranoid to use it around people because I worry that someone will notice.

15. stormborn

i don't have a binder or a packer yet, but i'm working on it. right now i bind by wearing a sports bra and a kinda tight camisole backwards. i've got a decently small chest (a cup) so it isn't too hard for me.
    i've just been packing with a rolled up sock. it's not even for passing's sake, as i can't go out much dressed as i'd like, but makes me feel better. it's like a phallic security blanket. :lol:

16. birdking

I've packed before but I don't have a lot of bottom dysphoria so it's not really my thing.

As for binding, yeah, can't leave my room without some form of binding. Also yeah as others have said, NO ace bandages. EVER. that was probably the worst period of my life, I was so desperate to have a flat chest but they can seriously injure you. if you're gonna bind, I recommend sports bras or an actual binder.

as for STPs i've never used one haha

17. ginger cthulhu

I'm so appreciative of all this advice!

I wear a D cup, so layering sports bras doesn't quite do what I want it to, but it suffices for now. (ha ha, phallic security blanket). I want to pack for the feeling of having a penis, it has nothing to do with passing in public. It's important for my outsides to feel as close to how I feel internally as possible.

I'll be buying an STP on Friday. I'll let ya'll know how that goes. :slight_smile:

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best of luck!

With binding, there are online places that have plus sizes for bigger chested guys which is really cool. It's just a matter of checking the charts to see where you fall.