1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans* Misogyny

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Owl333, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Sorry if this is a sensitive topic, I don't mean to offend anyone.

We had a speaker at my youth group the other day who was talking about Trans* misogyny. She said that trans* misogyny is specifically the hatred of trans* women, and that it's different from transphobia. I was just wondering what your guys' opinion on this is? I'm still slightly confused about it, so like I said sorry if I offended anyone. :confused:

2. KayJay

To me that sounds sort of silly. Transphobia is transphobia, why break it down into even more specifics?

Splitting it up is bad, because then people will start saying "Stop trans* misogyny!" and that is bad because sure, it is good to fight the cause for trans* women but then what about the trans* men? I think calling any hatred or discrimination against trans* people should all just be labeled transphobia. I would imagine if someone has problems with trans* women they would also have problems with trans* men. But I dunno, that is just my opinion.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's too specific and unnecessary. Just use the words sexism and transphobia when needed.
    Besides, it needlessly separates trans women from non-trans, and that's more than a little dubious.

4. BelleFromHell

It's not seperate from transphobia, it's a form of transphobia. It's hatred/disrespect towards transwomen, mixed with hatred/disrespect of women in general.

The incident on a MARTA train is a good example.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Why don't we just try to end hatred of any kind.

6. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Oh Ok, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Jun 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

Yeah! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

7. BelleFromHell

Also, I agree with KelsC and An Gentleman.

When I see transwomen being disrespected, I just call it transphobia and sexism. Trans* misogyny is too complicated.

8. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

So you guys don't think it's a necessary term?

9. BelleFromHell

Agreed. :thumbsup:

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All right! :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 14th Jun 2014 at 02:22 PM ----------

No, I don't. Making the equal rights movement a battle of semantics isn't really the goal.

11. Minnie

I think it makes sense there's a subjection, albeit - like all forms of hatred - silly. Unless it's the hatred of bad people. Or wasabi.

12. Hexagon

I can see a distinction, though it's obviously related to general transphobia. There's a particular hatred of those who society perceive to be men (and unfortunately, transphobes don't tend to recognise the gender of transpeople) who express femininity. It's rather similar to what gay men experience.

Whether or not it's necessary is a different matter. It's useful in so much that it helps people to understand the roots of the prejudice, and perhaps that helps us combat it. But it's unhelpful if it divides us in a fight that belongs to all of us.

13. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Yeah that makes sense.

14. Unkempt Harold

When ever I hear "misogyny" now I just ignore it XD

15. Acm

Acm Guest

I do think that it exists and could be a useful term to understand since trans women face different struggles and are often at higher risk than other trans people. My only problem with the word is that I usually only see it used to divide people or start fights between different parts of the trans community :frowning2:

16. stormborn

the term is a little unnecessary and confusing... i think there's a better way to explain it without using a term that must be explained upon every use.