1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduation and dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hii, Jun 15, 2014.

1. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I thought I'd be okay wearing a dress to graduation. I thought that this would be my last hurrah as attractive in a female way. Dysphoria, for me, is pretty hard to distinguish from what I usually feel anyway. And I'm not immediately hit by dysphoria when I put a dress on or put on makeup, but I've started to gradually feel uneasy. Now I'm pretty sure this is full-blown dysphoria. I feel like I'm lying to everyone. This isn't me. Everything just keeps building up and making me more and more dysphoric.

I enjoy expressing my feminine side and once in a while that means doing girly things but when it's something I'm doing most of the time I get uneasy. I don't know- I have no-one to talk to. I thought before that I was supposed to wait a while before telling my parents. I'm going to my therapist on Wednesday but... ugh.

I don't even know what I'm trying to get by posting this.. :tears: I'm upset and don't know how to cheer myself up.

2. Minnie

I have to say first of all that you sound exactly like me, except my parents knew pretty much as soon as I started questioning my gender.
    I think you should wear what you're comfortable in, which from the sound of things wouldn't be a dress or anything that portrays you as a girl. Be you! Walk outta that school/college with as much self-confidence as you can. If people think it's odd, you're not going to see them again anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you know that you're lying to everyone then why keep doing that?

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2014 at 03:30 PM ----------

I found that what cheered me up when I was upset about gender was accepting myself and what I was feeling, and then taking pride in my new-found identity and reassuring myself that it was okay.

3. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, Minnie. I'm not sure if I'll be able to work something out within the limited time-frame, but you're right.

4. stormborn

you can get lots of suits last minute! my friend put in an order for his rental tux less than a week before our grad :lol:

i was definitely there at my graduation, though (which was about a month ago). every time someone said i looked pretty or complimented my dress, i wanted to scream. the days following where everyone was posting pictures to facebook were even worse, though. i was pretty messed up for a while.