1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns or Presentation?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by A Roaring Echo, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Okay so I just started exploring my gender. I'm definitely not a girl, at least, not fully a girl/only sometimes a girl. I'm actually leaning towards non binary guy. Also I really hate she pronouns, but that's what everyone uses for me. I would much rather have he/they pronouns, and maybe dress more masculine. However, I still really like wearing makeup, skirts, dresses etc. I figure I'd just dress as I go, and mix masculine/feminine, but I feel like if I wear anything/act remotely feminine no one will respect my pronouns? So do I just dress masculine and give up femininity (why do clothes have gender anyway?) so hopefully will use my correct pronouns or just dress how I want and risk people not taking me seriously? It's not even guaranteed anyone will take me seriously anyway...She pronouns make me want to die, honestly. I just feel really trapped, I guess.

2. Unkempt Harold

I call everyone dude and guy regardless of their gender personally =/. In public really what can you do? But I guess you could tell your friends to call you what you feel like you want to be called X]

3. Gingerblond93

Honestly, your just going to have to live with it and not be so sensitive. Unless somebody is your very close friend who knows you personally, there is no way possible for an-body else in the world to know who your gender. Cloths are like a costume and gives a message to others who we are in terms of our gender. When you wear a dress with makeup, it's highly likely someone will use a "she" or "her" pronoun to identify you. If you dress masculine, and look like a guy they will use "He or him". People are categorized from nature as male or female and that is how society will identify you regardless if you like it or not. Calling you an "it" is almost insulting and nobody will do that. My advise, is to just suck it up and not let it upset you, brush it off, let it slide off you like a Teflon pan. As far as your gender to you, well go with how you feel, if you feel feminine, dress feminine or masculine dress masculine and just don't get too sensitive over the pronouns.

#3 Gingerblond93, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  4. Thanks? I realize that in public people will gender me based on my appearance and behavior (although I would one day like to achieve a look that makes people question whether I am a boy or a girl). I was mostly referring to people...a little bit closer to home, I guess, like my teachers and classmates for next year. I probably should've mentioned that xP.