1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender identity?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FireRose2071, Jun 17, 2014.

1. FireRose2071

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm a little confused on the gender identity thing. I always thought there was bi, straight and gay. Then I come to understand that sexuality and gender identity is waaay more than that!

So, how does one know that they identify as female if they have a male body, or male in a female body? Is there a website where I can read up on this info?

As for me, I've always felt like a girl. I like being a woman. Sorry if my knowledge of this is shallow...

Any info/comments helps :slight_smile: Thanks!

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2014 at 01:54 PM ----------

Annnd I just saw the stickies...ops >.>

2. birdking

ok you saw the stickies but I am going to answer this question anyway because WHY NOT haha

For me, it wasn't that I "felt like a man." It was that I didn't feel like a woman. I didn't identify with female people as well, and I felt VERY uncomfortable with my body once puberty hit.

It took me years to come to terms with the fact that I was trans, but after coming out to my friends and family, I feel so much better about myself (especially now that people are calling me my preferred name and pronouns.)

Some trans people opt for name changes, hormone therapy, and procedures because there's no way to "fix" your brain to reflect your body, so instead they "fix" their bodies to reflect their brains.

Don't worry about being "shallow," this is new information to you!

3. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, I realised that I wanted a flat chest, and that I really hated certain body parts, and then ended up from that, realising that I think more like a guy than a girl. I did lots of research on what it meant to have a male brain and a female body and started thinking about being trans. I finally decided that I just felt more like a guy overall, and that's how I figured out that I was trans. I felt like I was lying when I did girly things, and I felt like I was cross-dressing when I wore makeup. And the dysphoria about those body parts that I don't want got worse. So yeah, I guess that's how I know. It's different for everyone, though. That's just how I figured it out. And now, looking back, I realise that I've probably had the dysphoria for a long time (most twelve-year-old girls probably don't daydream that the curves that they have will get cut off). I just didn't know what it was.

Anyway, not sure if this helps at all. This is just my experience.

4. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, I realised that I wanted a flat chest, and that I really hated certain body parts, and then ended up from that, realising that I think more like a guy than a girl. I did lots of research on what it meant to have a male brain and a female body and started thinking about being trans. I finally decided that I just felt more like a guy overall, and that's how I figured out that I was trans. I felt like I was lying when I did girly things, and I felt like I was cross-dressing when I wore makeup. And the dysphoria about those body parts that I don't want got worse. So yeah, I guess that's how I know. It's different for everyone, though. That's just how I figured it out. And now, looking back, I realise that I've probably had the dysphoria for a long time (most twelve-year-old girls probably don't daydream that the curves that they have will get cut off). I just didn't know what it was.

Anyway, not sure if this helps at all. This is just my experience.

5. FireRose2071

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay :slight_smile: This clears up a lot for me! Thanks for the info and the insight~ very helpful.