1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dazed" and confused: transitioning at 30 yrs old?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JoshuaTree, Jun 19, 2014.

1. JoshuaTree

Hi all,

I'm new to EC. I've been reading posts on EC for a while now, but I could't bring myself to write. But finally.. Here I am. English isn't my mother tongue, so sorry in advance for any grammar errors (and for the length of this post). I actually post this before in the "LGBT later in life" section but I've been suggested to re-post it here.

I'm a 32 yrs old.. well.. person who has recently started questioning their gender.
    I was born biologically female and, apart from a very brief period of my life (until I was 6 yrs old, when I actually liked skirts and pink) I've always been a tomboy, with short hair and gender-neutral clothes.
    I've never questioned my gender, mostly because I didn't even know that it was something you can really question. What I mean is that I've always wanted to wear men clothes and not having breast BUT I've never actually thought "I want to be a boy". I don't know if it was because I didn't know it was something that was actually possible or because in the end I'm not trans.

During high school sometimes I thought I liked boys because I liked their bodies, even if I always ended up trying to imitate or behaving like the guys I thought I liked. Back then I wasn't educated on the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity, so I thought I was a straight female who actually liked male bodies. That was until I was 19 when I was forced to admit that I didn't actually like to have intimacy with males and that I actually liked women. But I still couldn't explain why even if I didn't want to have sex with men I "liked" their bodies (Was I bisexual?).
    Now I think that I might have confused attraction with envy (but more about confirmation bias later). To complicate things, for me it was difficult (and sometimes it still is) to understand and accept my sexuality mostly because of something that happened to me when I was a kid that has been always interfering with my feelings and with my attempt to be intimate or even social with people.

Anyway, in my 20s I came out as a lesbian but it didn't go well and, because of that and for a thousand other reasons, I then forced myself back into the closet.. Until last year when I decided that it was my last possible moment (long story) to come to terms with who I was. I came out again to my mother and some friends and now I'm finally out of the damn closet. And I was so happy not having to hide myself anymore.
    But what happened soon later it was that all these other thoughts started wandering in my brain. Thoughts about my body that I've always hated, about me not wanting a breasts and me sometimes feeling I have a phantom penis. I started to do some online research on the subject, to watch videos on Youtube, to talk about it with my therapist..
    And I started to freak out because now I may have a name for me hating my body so much: it's gender dysphoria. But when I look online all I can find are videos and blogs of young people, who "always knew" they were trans. So I started wondering if all of this mess in my brain is unreal and maybe I got confirmation biases when I looked for "clues" in my past.

I'm in a kinda bad place right now: sometimes I'm really upset because of gender dysphoria, and I'd give everything to be able to get rid of my chest and my female body and I freak out because I know that I can't afford to physically transitioning; sometimes I freak out thinking about the reaction that my mother, my family and my friends would have if I told them; sometimes I freak out because I think that maybe all this mess and this feelings are actually unreal, that I'm not trans or genderqueer but instead a cisgender female who just got mental.
    Even if I've always been pretty good to separate my body from my mind and shut down feelings since childhood so that I can deal with everyday life and work as a "robot", these thoughts started to interfere and it's become harder to focus on work and social life.

So, to sum everything up.. I'd be very thankful if anybody would feel like answering me: Is it possible for this gender confusion to start so late in life? Can confirmation biases and, on the other hand, some childhood bad things interfere with your gender identity? And, if you actually realize you're transgender so late, how do you deal with it?

Thank you for your patience in reading this superlong rambling and confused post..

2. Acm

Acm Guest

A lot of people didn't "always know," so that doesn't mean you aren't trans. Personally I think you sound trans to me but only you can say for sure I'm not an expert

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Quite all trans people always knew. I discover this when I was 2 years old, admitted when I was 16.

But don't care about this. It doesn't mean nothing.

What I suggest you to do firstly is:

-Some people misunderstand the difference between being trans with being tired of the stupid gender roles and stereotypes. Do you feel such an hate for these stereotypes (stuff like women has to be feminine, men has to be manly...)?

4. JoshuaTree

Thanks for answering me! I kind of know that there are people transitioning later in life, but what confused me is that a lot of them always say that even if the didn't transition earlier, they always knew. Maybe I'm just not confident because I don't feel "trans" enough (I know it's not a fair feeling, but I can't help it).

5. JoshuaTree

I really hate gender stereotypes and roles, I do think that everybody should be free to express their gender without others sticking their nose into it. In my opinion gender expression and gender identity are two distinct things. But I understand it may generate confusion.

I feel like my confusion has nothing to do with gender stereotypes since I've never bothered to fit into "the perfect female role". What I feel is that my body is not connected with who I am.. or sometimes I feel like I have a "different" imaginary male body inside my biological body. But the fact that I always see just young trans* people made me wonder if my confusion was unreal.
    Thanks for answering!

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Anytime (*hug*)

So, you feel like your body isn't connected with who you are. This means you're not cisgender (at least, not at all).

Let's try to become more close to your feelings.

What are you desires?
    Look at yourself in the mirror. What are you seeing? Who is the person you're seeing?

About the young trans* people, don't worry! You can be a non-binary person or a trans man but it's often difficult to drive a line and realised who we are. I thought I was a non-binary/genderqueer person, but now I know I'm a man, instead. Gender identity isn't a easy thing. Have you ever listened about gay people who discover their sexuality after getting married and having kids? Among trans folks is less common, but it could happen! Don't feel less man or less androgyne for this (*hug*)

7. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Huge hello and welcome :grin: I'm 31 and just this year finally realized I was trans. In my case I always knew I was meant to be born male and would be happier as one, it just took me a really long time to figure out I could do something about it. I never knew what the term transsexual actually encompassed even though I knew they existed. Had never heard of body dysphoria or thought it was only something people with eating disorders had. So I "knew" but I didn't know what I knew.

There are a lot of people who either don't know at all, don't know they DO know (like me) or who for whatever reasons don't transition until later. You are NOT alone and as someone told me, "Relax dude, you've got plenty of time."

I admit, personally my biggest issue has been my age in regards to it. How I deal with it... is just try to listen to supportive words and look to older transguys for proof it's never too late. I won't pretend it's something I'm over but I feel a lot better than I did a few months ago.

About how you feel - Some people take a while to figure it out. Just because you never thought to yourself or saw yourself as a boy as a child doesn't mean you cannot be trans. You might or you might not be.

A good thought experiment in addition to what FireSmoke has suggested, is to try and imagine yourself and your life in 5 years time. What do you see? Are you a cisfemale? Are you male? Are you happy with it?

8. PeytonRose

I'm kinda in the same boat though I am only 27. I figured this out about myself late in life and have started to accept that.

Every transgender person has a different story to tell, transition differently, and while we all walk the same path to get to where we're going, we each perceive things differently. More power to you though for figuring this out now though :slight_smile:

9. JoshuaTree

These are really good questions and I think I don't have clear answers yet. But let's try.
    First of all, if we're talking about a real mirror.. I can barely look at myself in the mirror. I do it just if I really have to, because I'm really uncomfortable in my body.. I can tolerate it when I bind and when I feel in shape because my hips protrude less, but that doesn't happen often. Otherwise I see.. a person who isn't myself or with whom I cannot identify.
    Is this because I'm not cisgender or because I hate my body since childhood (or both)? I don't know.

It's just that if I look into my past, I can find a lot of "clues" that could indicate that I'm trans/androgyne, but sometimes I get skeptical since I start thinking that maybe I'm biased because I'm looking for confirmations.

10. JoshuaTree

Same here! Until I stumbled upon a transguy's video on youtube, who talked about his life, I really didn't know that being transsexual or transgender could be something that can regard "ordinary" people. In my home country there wasn't and isn't a lot of information about the T letter in the LGBT world (and the only information delivered by the media is 90% awful,uneducated and discriminatory): they only talked about the MtF "trannies" (how much I hate this word) who prostitute themselves for a living. Now it's getting slightly better, but still.. So basically I was able to start educating myself when I actually moved to US.

I actually wanted to be a boy.. it's difficult to explain: a lot of times I thought that I want to be like that kid in the movie or in my class. But it was such an odd thought (like: "I want a unicorn") that I didn't do anything about it. I didn't know that you would be allowed to think something like that. So I never said "I want to be a boy" because it was something that seemed unreal, like wanting a different skin color or to be taller: it's something that you can't change, so you don't even bother thinking about it and in the end I didn't think about that a lot. But I did love (also later in life) when I got mistaken for a boy, that was awesome! It's so hard to explain.. (and, again, maybe I'm just looking for confirmation and I'm getting biased)

5 years from now.. I don't see myself as a cisfemale. I really hope I won't be. It would be fantastic if my chest has magically disappeared and I have a more masculine body (daydreaming about the fact that I'd be able to afford it and have the courage to face my family and the world).

11. SockPuppet

Hey Joshua (or do you prefer Tree? :wink: )

To me it sounds like the clues have been there a long time, but realizing/acknowledging them, there really isn't a time frame for that. What's more, like you were saying about going back into the closet, sometimes you know (or think you know), but it's scary or things happen and you push it away.

Personally, I didn't have much conception about gender at all until puberty started kicking in, when things started changing, and not the way it felt like they should...but I couldn't explain it. My family didn't get the internet until I was in my late teens, so I never even heard there was such a thing as being trans until then. It made so much sense, and I tried to pursue transition...was actually on HRT for almost a year when bad stuff happened, and I ran away from transition, hormones, and all the friends I'd made, and just tried to be a boy, for like 15 years.

It's only now, at 35, that I'm no longer afraid. Or at least, no longer letting my fear get in the way of wanting to be comfortable and happy in my own skin, and in the reflection in the mirror. Even though I feel ancient compared to all the bois and grrls who are transitioning young these days.

And I think you have to just look deep inside, and find what will make you happy and comfortable in your skin. Maybe it's that you are trans*. Maybe not. Only you can know for sure as you're the only one inside your head. But not everyone always KNOWS.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I hope that's helpful...

12. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Josh!
    To me it sounds like you are suffering from GID ( Gender Identity Disorder )
    Most people don't always know they're trans but the behaviors and clues almost always start at an early age.
    In fact I'd say people don't really start finding out who they REALLY are until around highschool or a little after. But that's just my opinion.
    I would say seeing a psychiatrist specifically one who specializes in gender identity issues would be your first step.
    Tell your psych EVERYTHING its confidential their job isn't to judge you it's to help you.
    If you hold back any longer I'd say you are only hurting yourself.
    You only have one life to live. So explore these feelings and find an answer.
    Don't ignore them.

13. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly how it was for me. You put it in a better way than I've been able to. I saw it as something that could never be, so I didn't think about it too much because what was the point? I too was mistaken for a boy, in my teens. It was a wonderful feeling. I think I know now that it was validation as who I really was (which is something most trans people want).

I went through the same thoughts about looking for confirmation in my past and wondering if I was placing too much importance on them and making a bigger deal about it than they really were. But the more time that went by, the more things I remembered, and I could no longer convince myself that it was merely wishful thinking.

There's a big difference between exhibiting some traits once in a while, that on their own don't mean much, and a persistence of similar behaviors. I realized my wanting to be a boy persisted my entire life in different ways, even when I wasn't trying.

Nikki is right. Don't ignore these feelings. It's normal to be afraid and unsure. It's a process. Therapy is a good idea too.

Best advice really, is what you're already doing. EC is a great place to find information and hear other experiences. Only you can decide who you are or have always been, but you don't have to make the journey alone (*hug*)

14. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome.

I'm sorry, I'm late.

I just wanted to add to the "tired of gender sterotypes" thing.

Personally, as a trans man (boy?) I never really felt affected by misogynist remarks. Of course I hated it, but it felt like they didn't apply to my gender, which it doesn't. However, I didn't know it at the time, and I just thought I was a pretty aloof sort of person.

Not sure how others feel, but yeah. My experience.

Like KyleCats stated, EC's a great place to get advice. I see a lot of people have already given awesome pointers, so I really don't have anything else to add except a "I hope all goes well!" Good luck, if you need it!

15. JoshuaTree

Your words are indeed helpful. I'm really sorry for what happened to you when you were younger but I'm happy that you're now in such a better place, you are really brave.
    I'll try to let my age not bothering me so much and just focus on what makes me feel better with myself.
    Thank you!

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2014 at 03:53 PM ----------

I've been seeing a therapist for the last few months and she is specialized in GID, so she manages to help a lot, most of all with my self hate and other stuff.

You're right, we only have this one life and I've already been in the closet for an unhealthy amount of years, that's why I finally decided to seek professional help and also to join EC.. and this already seems one of the best decisions I've ever made. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2014 at 03:54 PM ----------

Thanks! (*hug*)