1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applications and Documentation

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AngerAndAgony, Jun 19, 2014.

1. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, guys, I know I post here a lot... But this is something I'm most certainly not sure of.

So basically, I'll be starting my senior year of High School. And with all that, I have colleges asking me to apply and all. But basically, I've been having trouble with what to put when they ask gender. See, if they asked sex, then it's female. Because I was born a girl. But they always ask gender, and, well... I'm a transdude.

This results in QUITE a few problems. Not only is there the self hatred I feel when I don't know what to put and the feelings of oh-why-can't-I-just-be-normal, but I get a TON of all girls' colleges sending me stuff. I know I don't want to apply there but it just makes me feel worse about myself.

Another thing is that my dad won't let me do any more than cut my hair and wear guys' clothes. (And even then it's just shirts and shoes becausr I don't know how to find the right jeans fit) And I think if I could actually pass it would be easier for applications and school and all. But the main thing here is I don't know what to put.

Thanks guys. Sorry if I ask too many questions.

2. KayJay

If it is something governmental or like that I sadly have to put the sex that is on my brith certificate/IDs. It will just cause confusion for everyone :frowning2: I really know how you feel though (*hug*)

Have you started at all towards working on getting it changed on your ID stuff? After they send me my new health card I am going to go and get my sex updated on all of my IDs.

3. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only have my school ID but another big part of all that is that my dad won't let me do anything else. I only turned 17 3 days ago so for another 362 days I'm under his control for all that. He basically told me he doesn't want to deal with anything and that I should be hapoy that he let me cut my hair and wear guys' clothes. I don't know what else to do that I can without him.

4. KayJay

(*hug*) I wish I had good advice >.<

At least once you are 18 you can start working on things yourself right? I'm not really sure how all that sort of stuff works where you live though. Your dad doesn't really sound supportive at all which also makes things hard, I wish I could give you a big hug!

5. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks <3

I guess you're right. I just wonder what everyone else does. I mean it's college interest checks, and then I'm gonna have to apply and all... It makes me so nervous.

6. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dealt with this stuff last year, as I'm going to university in a few months. I put down my biological sex for all the offical documentation and such, but put down my gender for less official things like dorm rooms and orientation. I don't know if you'd be staying in a dorm, but my school has a gender neutral hall I signed up for so that was nice.

Even dorms and such aside, having your sex on school documentations are mostly just for health regulations and such. If you want your gender to be known, don't hide it! Write an email to all your professors before class with them starts saying that the roll sheet will say ______ name and ______ gender but that you'd prefer to be called _____ and have them use ______ pronouns for you. Introduce yourself as a guy to new people and things like that.

It is really uncomfortable and awkward to sign all these things with female, but after you get all the paperwork done it doesn't have to be so bad. Good luck!

7. stormborn

i was applying to universities this past year -- it was tough when it came to gender.

on all my applications, i put my biological sex, partially because i wasn't out to my family (who would be seeing my applications), and partially to avoid confusion. now that i've been accepted to one, i've looked into their resources for transgender people, and have done what i can for now (email housing people, look into the counsellors and account for their hours in my schedule, etc). i have to do the rest in person, but i'm going to arrive a few days before i actually move in to take care of that. i think it's better to get things changed later, as opposed to filling out forms correctly in your eyes, and incorrectly legally.

8. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys! All this advice is really helpful and I will definitely bare it in mind.

9. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All official paperwork should be kept official if you were born Female then sadly you'd have to put that.
    As time goes on though you can get that changed.
    You can get a legal name change and even alter your birth cert and Social Security legally to the gender you wish to Identify as.
    But that will take time.
    Just bite the first few bullets and when the time comes it will all be okay c :

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a hard one. I suppose that you could explain your situation. For an example: "While my biological gender is " ", I identify as being " ".