1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haircut?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tai, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to get a haircut, a boy's haircut... But I have a few mental barriers in my way...

1. I'm afraid of the reception I'll get from everyone, and from myself. I'm afraid that I, along with everyone else, won't like it or they will feel uncomfortable with it. I know it grows back, but that period of in between would be so awkward... But really, I just don't want to regret it, which I can see happening. I can see myself regretting it because I have periods of "hating my long hair and wanting it to be gone" and "being happy with my current hair."

2. This is the main reason I'm conflicted. It'll be hard to get one because I'm incapable of cutting my own and none of my friends are good at cutting hair, so one of my parents would have to take me to get it cut, and I'd have some explaining to do. When I brought it up to my mom (mind you, I'm not out to her or anyone yet), she laughed and said, "Aw, no, your hair's too beautiful for that," AKA "Why in hell would you chop off your hair?" I have a feeling if I was out she'd let me get one, but I don't feel anywhere ready to do that. I'd have to come out because I've always had long hair ever since it grew out when I was 8 or something. So she'd be curious about the sudden change and she wouldn't let me get one unless she knew I was genderqueer.

... I'm sorry that was so long with unwanted details.

TL;DR: Getting a boyish haircut would make me regret it at some point (though, other points I'd be happy with it); and I'd have to come out to my mom to get one, which I don't feel ready to do yet.

Any advice? What should I do? I'm sorry, I need advice for the most ridiculous stuff. >.<

(If I do go get a haircut, I have no idea what boy's hairstyle I would choose...)

#1 Tai, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. KayJay

Hmmm, I kind of have some advice/ideas.

The first half of your first point is kind of unavoidable. It is something you do that is hard to picture until it is actually done and then it is too late to go back if you regret it. Just have to take a risk! The second half of your first point is valid. Although if you get it cut you may just have the same feeling but inverse to how you originally felt.

You don't necessarily have to come out to have your parents take you to get it cut. You could maybe find some nice pictures of people with short hair and show them, let them think you just think short hair looks nice and would like to try.

I'm not sure if that helps at all and there are some flaws in my advice somewhere I would imagine. I hope it helps at least a little! (*hug*)

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, KelsC! But I feel like they would be confused to why I'm showing them a picture of a guy and his haircut rather than a girl.

4. KayJay

Show them pictures of girls with short hair, then just style it more masculine yourself perhaps?

5. birdking

Maybe start with a feminine short cut, just to get used to having short hair at first, and then get a more masculine one later?

6. ProtegeMoi

Just say you want to donate to locks for love or something similar. Lots of peeps need some good hair. Hard to say no to a noble cause.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone! I'll tell my mom about Locks of Love and hopefully I can try messing with the haircut and making it more masculine.

8. stormborn

show them a picture of a short women's cut, but ask them to use electric clippers on the sides/back. that'll get it shorter on the sides, which will give you a more masculine look :slight_smile:

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How about the Quiff? It was traditionally a men's haircut but now it is being seen as being more unisex. Some people like to shave one or both sides of the head leaving a tuff of hair that is kind of reminiscent of a faux-hawk. You could also try spiking it.

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your advice!

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

Ah, I was going for a more modest and simple boy's haircut (the showy stuff would be too flashy for me), but thanks for your suggestion!