1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding Your Name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nychthemeron, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I swear, I'm going to keel over from all the threads I've made on this forum. I'm so sorry.

Guilt aside, I want advice on how to search for a name.

As seen on my public profile, I'm FtM. Unfortunately, my parents gave me a strictly feminine name. I don't think there's any man with my name, and I would really, really like to introduce myself without the awkward "And my name... uh..."

Yes, I am out to my family. They have expressed support for an unofficial name change, however, it must be unisex.

That narrows down the search area quite a bit.

I would've preferred a name that started with A or N, because that's what my first and middle name starts with. But I've already exhausted the name sites. Nothing seems to fit me. Even Alex, which is an awesome unisex name, doesn't seem to go well on me. I love it, I really do, but it doesn't fit me, and if someone called me by it, I think I will feel alienated.

Before anyone says to ignore what my parents say, I don't have a choice. I've put too much on them. They're still struggling with my gender identity, but they still allowed me to choose a new name, wear new clothes, and cut my hair. They love me, and it would be a terrible thing to do if I just broke their word like that. So I can't. I already asked too many favors from them.

So how did you find your name? How did you find out it was the name? And how did people react to it?

Thanks in advance.

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Hi, man. I know what you mean.

Unisex name rocks! :wink:

How do I find my name? I tried to call me with other names, but I understood that my name had to reflect my personality.

One day I listened to this song: Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell and I noticed Thicke's name.

"Uhm, it seems so familiar! And it's also unisex!" I though.

Fuck off, go for it! :roflmao:

This name is simple, unisex, straightforward but at the same time strong and brave (cit. Robin Hood).

I didn't find my name. He found me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, gotcha. That sounds like pretty good advice - let your name find you. Haha.

How long did it take?

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:wink:

Uhm, I don't remember very well but it took 4-5 months. Why so much time? Because I chose a name and I tried to see me with this name for a while. And then I changed it...and again, and again. Until I joined EC and I decided to try to make me call as "Robin".

"Now, I can stop to search" I thought after one months on EC (I'm here for 7 months).

Do the same. But make the others call you in the name you've chosen only after you're pretty sure that this name could be the one.

5. Really

What about something a bit foreign? Maybe from where your grandparent came from? Or from some culture you're interested in? So it's gender won't be immediately obvious?
    Or go celebrity. Apple Nightshade. Yeah, that's the one. :}

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, Apple Nightshade?

And I suppose I already thought of that. My family is strictly Chinese, and the only thing that really relates to me is Lee, but that names is... hm. If you know what I mean.

7. Hexagon

Alex is my name, hehe. I chose it because of it's meaning, because it seemed to suit me, and because I felt my family would adapt to it well.

8. ProtegeMoi

I have friends named Arin with that spelling both sexes. Nat is the only N name but they were Natalie and Nathaniel.

I know a 70 yr old Irish dude named Ashley that likes whiskey in his coffee, but girls have taken that over. Could go by Ash if you wanted.

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I've heard of Ashley being a unisex name before, but not sure where.

Unfortunately, I don't think Arin, Nat, or Ash would fit me. I'm not really asking for actual names, just a way to discover some.

But, thanks for the suggestions and input, you two. I really appreciate it!

10. stormborn

maybe Avery? once there was both a girl and a boy in one of my classes named Avery :lol:

otherwise there's:
    Aron
    Addison
    Ainsley
    Arden
    Noel
    Nikita
    Nico
    or you could take after kayne west's kid and use North :lol:

11. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, I really like the name North. But it doesn't fit me.

Like I said before, I'm not really looking for suggestions. I'm just trying to see what others did to find their name, in case I'm doing something... "wrong".

I mean, maybe I'm trying too hard or something. I don't know.

But thanks anyway! I appreciate it!

12. stormborn

oh sorry, i misinterpreted :slight_smile:
    i am currently between two names because i want input from my family.
    i came across something similar to what i want to change my first name to (Brighton) on a baby names site, and i thought it was cool and sounded good so it's kind of stuck.
    i'm going to change my middle name to Elliot, and i might go by that if my family wants me to keep my birth first name (which is unisex, but my spelling is more feminine, i think). i just like it, and i always have. i also really like the youtuber Elliot Morgan, so maybe that affected my thinking a bit :lol:

i guess i don't really have good reasons for picking my names... i just like them. i told my friend about the name Brighton, and she said she liked it. one of my other friends says i'd make a terrible Elliot, but that it was a good name, so i think i have at least a bit of a blessing from her :lol:

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No need for an apology. I need to work on my clarification, anyway. Haha.

And, awesome. Thanks again for your input. I hope all goes well on your side!

14. KayJay

I had actually sort of developed a second life online as Kelsey 2 or 3 years before I ever came out. I was actually starting to feel awkward when my family called me my then current name. So by the time I came out it felt so natural because I was already so used to people calling me Kelsey.

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stormborn mentioned the name Avery, which I have used for about a year or two online. However, this was during a phase of denial and self-blame, so even if it's a really nice name and I think I might even fit it, I'm not sure if it's a really good idea. I keep attaching bad memories to it, but I don't know if I would actually find anything better.

16. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you said you aren't necessarily looking for suggestions, but I had always seen the name Aiden as a boy's name. Then comes my math teacher and his daughter is named Aidan. Either spelling works either way and I really like the name.

As for me, I can't change my name at all yet (Shawna Lorraine, purely feminine) but when I do, I chose my 2 favorite guys' names and polled people on which order they think it would sound better so my name will be Christopher Adam. And it feels right. Look for what feels right to you.

17. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not trans* so I haven't had to choose a name for myself but when I'm looking for names for characters in my stories, I think of the names and middle names of friends, family, celebrities, and even other fictional characters. Sometimes I make names up, but I prefer real ones.
    Also you could just listen to music, like someone else posted! Maybe an artist name or a song title will stick out to you. Or maybe a name will just pop into your head randomly and you'll go "yep, that's the one!"

18. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was really picky with mine. I too have an overly feminine name that even worse has a very feminine pronunciation I loathe and people use it all the time. I correct them on the pronunciation, but the name still grates on me anyway.

Basically my strategy was going totally opposite of my birth name. I wanted a hard consonant - K. I wanted a short name that was to the point and maybe a little sharp. Kane is what I would use if not for the wrestler :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But Kyle is what I chose. Kevin and Jason were also on my list but in the end I decided they sounded too long. Despite all three names having two syllables, Kyle is usually said with a quicker pace.

You say that you want a name that fits you. Maybe you could start by making a list of things that make you "you" and working backwards towards names with those meanings. I'm sure there are a lot of unisex name sites with origins/meanings that would come in helpful :slight_smile:

19. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks a lot, you three. It seems like I'll have to delve into some music, then. Haha.

Also, does anyone know if it matters if I changed anything yet? I still have long hair, and I don't bind. I also don't really care if my closet is full of feminine clothes, so occasionally, I'd still wear something that broadcasts a feminine vibe. Should I try to change this before searching for a name or nah?

EDIT: Sorry, Kyle. You managed to post before me, haha. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do that sometime!

20. stormborn

it's good to have a name lined up for when you decide to socially transition :slight_smile: but don't pressure yourself! names take time.