1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transitioning in college and other options

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by swan32145, Jun 20, 2014.

1. swan32145

swan32145 Guest

So hi guys. I’ve thought that I may be transgendered for about two years now, and a few things have made me realize that this isn’t a phase. I’ve done a lot of research and I want to transition. I’ll be going to college next year, and I know that college can be a good place to transition. However, there are several complications such as the possible roommate if I can’t get a single room (Which is unfortunately bound to be male, and that will make me uncomfortable for me for a variety of reasons. Not to mention the almost crippling social anxiety.), and the risk of meeting people I know, since many are going to the same college, which will be an awkward situation. I want to get an idea of what it’s like to transition in college. I’d like to know some of your experiences, if that’s okay.
    Also, I came out to my sister as Trans the other day and she’s actually supportive. She didn’t even seem that surprised, actually. I’m starting to think transitioning won’t be as hard for me as it is for most, if I took care of myself a little more I could probably pass right now if I wanted to. While it’s so close that a few steps in the right direction could change my whole view of the world there’s an anxiety attached. Coming out to somebody, even one person, has relieved a massive amount of this anxiety and really clears things up and let me consider my identity. I kind of want to come out to her because then I can just commute and transition at home, which I believe will be my safest option. My mom’s pretty supportive of anything I want to be, but I want to know if it’s possible to soften the blow or ease into it a little bit first. This isn’t the main objective of the post, but I would like to address it.
    Thank you for your advice and support.

2. LonestarConnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Find out if your college as any LGBT student organizations. If so, student organizations really provide a good college experience. You'll meet new people, get involved with your campus, and participate in group activities. And if not, find out about starting one :slight_smile:

Also, see if their are LGBT counselors at the counseling centers. They can be of help and service.

Most important, focus on your classes lol :slight_smile:

Good luck. College is a great time to really find and express yourself. I hope you make the best of it :slight_smile:

Best,

Connie

3. stormborn

i just emailed my university and they gave me priority for a single room. i've heard some people say that they actually got a room by themselves and with their own bathroom, because their college wasn't sure about them using their preferred gender's washroom. so that probably won't have to be the biggest of your worries :slight_smile:

i'm starting university in the fall, and will be living as my preferred gender, so i can try to do my best to help if you have any questions :slight_smile:

4. swan32145

swan32145 Guest

It is good that priority housing is so available. I haven't quite gotten around to coming out to anyone but my sister, so I will eventually have to tell the college even though I probably qualify for a single room regardless of being transgender due to general anxiety and social phobia (especially around men) due to a bad childhood. I should seek a LGBT group and therapist; even though student organizations are something I generally avoid because there can be a lot of people.
    Thank you both so much for your advice. I'm actually excited for college for a change.