1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for passing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Seige, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Seige

So next thursday, a few of my friends and I are going to go to the movies together. I recently aquired a bra and oneor two girly shorts, Ive also painted my nails. So I was thinking that I might try to pass when we go to the movies. I'm not sure if its a good idea though, because I don't look super feminine, but I'm thinking that if I wore my bra, Id be able to pass as a semi-masculine woman.
    Also, how do bathrooms work? As fsr as I know there are no gemder neautral bathrooms at the theatre, so which do I use? Id love to use the womans, but what if I don't pass well enough?

2. ProtegeMoi

Short hair - rock a headband.
    Id say a minimum of mascara, eyeliner, and lip gloss. If you can do makeup or have a friend help you can do foundation, eye shadow etc.

Go later at night. Try not to run into too many people that don't know you in this way if itll make you nervous.

If you haven't practiced your voice you can have a male friend order for you - "I'll have a coke, shed like a root beer." Having another person throw out pronouns helps.

No hands in pockets. Posture. Be a lady!! Be you!

Even if you're scared shitless - fake it. Exude confidence, confidence and more confidence or pretend to be someone you admire and get into character.

Breathe!!

Oh and most importantly - have a blast!!

3. stormborn

i'm a very masculine looking "girl" and at worst in the women's restroom, you'll probably get an odd look if you pass well. just be confident and people will assume you're supposed to be there, i think. :slight_smile:

4. KayJay

ProtogeMoi's suggestion with friends using pronouns around you really does help. Generally when I meet someone new and someone else introduces me as female the person meeting me will use female pronouns. That is really good advice! :slight_smile:

I also think that eye makeup really helps. I usually just do eye makeup unless I feel like I need to look real fancy.

The thing is I do not really even know if I pass to other people after all these months, I think the most important thing is to just be you. If you feel like you pass, then you do. I don't like the term pass/passing, it sort of implies you are being graded or marked on your looks by others which isn't really nice as it puts this awful pressure on people. Just be you, rock your stuff and love yourself while you are out at the movies! :slight_smile:

5. Seige

What kind of headband would you recommend? Something thin? Also, is it Legal for me to enter a womens restroom? If I do go in and somehow "get caught" are there legal reprecutions/could I be kicked from the theatre etc. Thanks for the encouragement guys :slight_smile:

6. Yosia

If your really scared about toilets isnt there a disabled one? I always use them.

7. ProtegeMoi

I'd just try a bunch on honestly. Since you're not really holding hair back a huge one isn't necessary and something thinner makes sense. Just find a color, pattern, etc that makes you feel good and goes with your outfit.

Or scrap the idea altogether if it doesn't feel right. You can always style your hair a little choppier, have the hair by your ears a little pointier so it doesn't look like guy's sideburns and so on. Look up a short hair style guide for women and play around with it if you have some waxes, cremes and such.

I do think it's a good idea that you try to sort it out early though so that come Thursday night you aren't frantic. You won't need extra stress. Make a day of it with a friend and get their opinions in person. We are hyper-critical of ourselves too often and it might be nice to have a friend's reassurance and helpful eye.

Either way I'm proud of you for trying. I haven't gone out in public as dressed as a female. I just talk, walk, and am me - most people just assume I'm gay or weird I suppose. So you're ahead of me in that regard.:thumbsup:

8. Hopefilled

The most important person to convince that you pass is you. Seriously. Passing comes more from Projection than anything else...So much of Gender's in our soul and manifests in our every move. Study all the details of how to hold objects= body language in doorways and such encounters where eye contact or lack of same can make us be in which Gender's perception.

Above all else- when you're all ready for showtime- look in a mirror and psych yourself up as happy with how you look. That's had me pass whilst looking so grubby as to defy probability of my having passed. I guess it was the self- ownership.

You're only as Pretty as you feel...

Ah- It's a phrasing which may indeed be a touchstone worth embracing to your very core- where identity is more than everything. You're at some point needfully going to evaluate just "who" you ARE and embracing it by being confidently living as the woman you are can be effortless joy. All the Gingerbread of Nails/Hair/Face Dirt And the Skirt so to speak- is supposed to be more from what WE want to look like=makes us feel pretty on our terms. And you appear a lot closer to living that, than others ever get.

So it goes where our internal self-evaluation becomes how others see us by " how we act" and that my friend, is based on self- confidence. Banish all the doubts and very quickly-All the self doubt transforms from initial: ARE you comfortable self-identifying as Capitol F Female? , into a new REALITY.

You inherently now ARE most comfortable BEING the Female you ARE and anyone doubting it is delusional.

9. Seige

Thank you for the encouragement! I feel much better because of it, though I'm still worried about usimg the restroom. As far as Iknow there's no disabled bathroom, only a stall in the bathrooms.

10. birdking

Understandable, I still get nervous. However, all you need to do is act like you know what you're doing, like you're supposed to be there. You look like you could pass well enough that no one would stop you.

Plus, everyone's just in there to do their business and leave. Chances are they won't even see you!

11. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

You said you're going with friends, so I would recommend going to whatever restroom you feel most comfortable in with one of them, so if anyone bothers you they'll have your back. :slight_smile:

12. Opture

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just keep your head up, and act like you belong there. The more confidence you exude the less people will want to question you... and if they do say something like "this is the women's bathroom!" then just go like "well, duh!" and roll your eyes or something. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. KayJay

Your avatar is the perfect face to make if they question you about being in the right restroom!

14. Seige

Ok! Thanks for the help guys: Confidence is key.

15. Seige

Just want to triple-check there are NO legal reprecussions for me being in the womens restrooms? Specifically for the state of Alaska.

16. ProtegeMoi

If you're that worried about it try to go pee before hand and limit how much you drink.

Or be confident like we said. Tuck the dude parts and no one will know.
    I saw a lady shopping two days ago with more of a beard than me and she looked like a dude except for her boobs. They let her in the bathroom lol.

#16 ProtegeMoi, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  17. Seige

Ok, that makes me feel MUCH better. I think I might be ready, I'm nervous though xD

18. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Confidence gets you pretty far.

19. birdking

I haven't been able to find any laws in the past. I doubt you'd get into legal trouble though. If someone DOES confront you (which probably won't happen) just claim you accidentally went to the wrong restroom.

If you're going to the Tikahtnu theater, which is the one I always go to, there is a gender neutral/"family" restroom! It's fairly easy to find, and I assume all Century 16 theaters have them.

Good luck!

20. Seige

Oh there is? (That's the one I'm going to) Where is it? I think I'm going to try the women's room, but If I don't feel like Ill pass It'd be nice to have backup.