1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was puberty like?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tone, Jun 21, 2014.

1. tone

So I was talking with a friend of mine and we started discussing puberty and she told me that before she got her period and all that, she really wanted it and was excited for it. Thinking back, a lot of my friends then were also really excited and would brag about the changes they were experiencing and all that.
    I never looked forward to it and always secretly delighted in the fact that I was a little later than my close friends. I was embarrassed about having to wear a bra because I didn't want to admit that I needed one, I didn't want to tell anyone when I got my period and it certainly wasn't something I was excited about. I always thought that no one wanted to go through puberty but I guess I was wrong?
    I was just wondering what that experience was like for other people who aren't cisgender (and for people who are too :icon_wink )

2. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Hell. Pure hell.

3. jahow95

Actually not bad at all for me, I didn't have any of this sexuality confusion, which is probably the worst part, until now. The totally random boners for absolutely no reason were hell, admittedly, especially at a boys school!

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    didnt like it, the voice changing and the growing hair, i hated it still do and its aggrivating that the growing of a mustache/beard is a sign of manhood

5. Acm

Acm Guest

It was awful. I was really embarrassed about growing breasts and I didn't want to have to wear a bra. I was embarrassed about basically everything that was happening to me and it felt wrong.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I felt like crying when I started my period. (of course, my hormones were all jacked up but I still hate it to his day!) My breasts are very small, but I still have gender dysphoria and wish I could cut them off. It's surprising your friends were excited for puberty; my friends and I all dreaded and hated it, even though they're cis and I'm not.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Meh at best. Bras were a nightmare. It was like, I wanted it to happen so I could be an adult but when it did, it was no bueno... For one, I didn't get a beard of it and what's the point of going through puberty if you don't get a goatee?

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it was not something that I was excited about at all. I didn't want anybody to know that I was "becoming a women". I freaked when I got my first period (which my mom thought that was from hormones). I had to be called into the school office and told that I had to wear a bra or they were going to put me in detention before I wore a bra to school..

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I think puberty isn't fun for anybody, but for trans folks especially. Like how most here will say, it wasn't something I was looking forward to. I was at a state of discomfort, but was unable to explain why I felt that miserable until years later when researching gender dysphoria.

10. stormborn

awful. i was in denial that it would ever happen to me, and continued to deny it even when changes started happening. i didn't take very good care of myself :/

11. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought I was dying a slow, painless death because of what I found in my pants.

12. Niko

I was the exact same way as you Tone.

I refused to wear a bra or acknowledge that I had to wear one until the 8th grade. And even then I would wear sports bras and sports bras only. I remember telling my mom and sister I was never going to get my period, but when it came I was horrified. After that I would always be sneaky when it came around. I didn't want anyone to know I was on it including family members. To this day I still do it to an extent.

It was just hell.

13. Sarah2695

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was excited (only) to wear a bra when I was about 10 years. Later, however, I started becoming very tomboyish and was so terrified of the big change. When my mom bought me my first bra, I felt so sick to my stomach. Suffice to say, I shoved that bra to the back of my draw and hoped my mother wouldn't find it and say something. Sadly, I only got bigger and soon after she forced me to wear it. Staring my actual period was horrible! I was so terrified words cannot describe accurately. I prayed literally every night that I would start it until fourteen or fifteen years of age. And, it started on Christmas morning before my fifteenth birthday. Not a great Christmas gift, I must say.

14. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was completely indifferent about it. Periods were annoying and wear a bra could hurt my breast area, but that's nothing I can't deal with.
    I'm still not sure if I'm non-binary or cisgendered. Does my answer even count?

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why wouldn't it count?

16. tone

of course it counts! This is a place for everyones opinions, whether you're cis or transgender or nonbinary or something else entirely

17. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you guys... Oh well, looks like my opinion is pretty different from most people or they're just so indifferent about that that they're not even coming here to answer to that question? I wonder if it has something to do with the place I was born in. Nobody from my age mentioned that unless they were joking or complaining about how annoying it was. It almost seemed like the only people happy about it were our parents.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a rough time with it and I'd say years 13 through 19 weren't great. Those were the teenage years. I was in a better frame of mind both before and after this span of years.

19. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Think it's interesting how similar we feel.

Like others have said, I was embarrassed about my breasts and did not want to acknowledge them or wear a bra. I developed very early and it was a source of so much stress. I vividly remember being in first grade and my mother trying to tell me I had to wear a bra (first grade!) and I cried so much because it felt like punishment. Period came at 9. I was horrified, I think I cried then too.

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I was upset when my breasts started growing and I got my first period, it was like a nightmare. I think I'm cis, but I admit I don't like my breasts at all and agree with some of these viewers.