1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty much stealth, now extremely ashamed of being trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by zahhhaks, Jun 22, 2014.

1. zahhhaks

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, so back when I started seriously transitioning- right around a year and a half ago- I was SO proud of being trans, and it was so important to me to claim that as a part of my identity. I was a real big activist, and all my friends were transgender too, and I felt no shame whatsoever. Now that I'm in the middle of my name change and on hormones and essentially stealth in my day to day life, I've found that I really don't want people to know that I'm trans anymore- I'm terrified that I'll be treated differently, and that people won't respect my identity as much (example- when I had to pay with a card instead of cash at a coffee shop I frequent and ended up outing myself to a barista I'm friendly with, he talked about how it was so interesting that I wasn't really male or female. Uh, no, I'm entirely a guy, you want someone nonbinary buddy). I'm far more interested in people knowing about my sexual orientation and seeing me as a guy who isn't straight rather than just a transgender guy. If anything, I want my gender identity to be on the backburner in people's perceptions of me, if not off the stove entirely so to speak. I feel bad for feeling so ashamed even though it makes a lot of sense but I can't help but feel like I'm abandoning where I came from.

2. ProtegeMoi

You shouldn't feel shame. Not everyone needs a neon sign or a banner championing a cause or their past. When I transition I plan on being a full time lesbian in a marriage to my wife (which it is now, im just a guy on the outside still for now) and not really identifying with my past. I won't hide or flaunt my past, because today and tomorrow are what matters. If a friend gives you shit about being stealth or not being some freedom fighter then eff them.

If its not a big deal to you don't make it one. Youre not betraying anyone, and its not like you're going to turn your back on the community you're just not on the front lines. Dont worry too much on it, because wrinkles suck and so does unnecessary guilt/shame.