1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new clothes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jaska, Jun 22, 2014.

1. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok hi:
    I've only just recently accepted my transliness and am not planning on coming out soon. But me and my family are going to USA these holidays, and my mum wants to buy me new clothes before we leave because it's going to be really hot over there. I can't stand wearing girls clothes, and I don't even own any yet. She is taking me to the mall in a few days before we leave, and I'm so scared, I don't want to hurt her feelings when I refuse to get girls clothes, but i don't think she would let me pick things from the guys section. I don't want to come out to her yet, but this holiday is going to be torture if i have to wear woman's clothes! I guess ill just have to push through it and suffer unless you guys have any ideas?????? : ) any advise??????

2. stormborn

you can find a fair amount of guy-style clothes in the women's section, believe it or not. you could also try going to an athletic store (like adidas or sportcheck) -- they tend to have a broader unisex section.

3. IJustWantToLove

I guess you could ease your mum in, or something? I don't wear overly feminine stuff and nothing that glitters or has to deep of a cleaveage and I told this to my mum over and over again until she didn't bother to try make me wear it any longer... I started with stuff I'm not wearing so often like a pair of boardshorts and shoes, and then went on to "regular clothing" like hoodies, T-shirts, and Shorts (I'm not trans, though, just don't like overly feminine clothes...)

Like stormborn said, try to find some androgynous style clothes in the women's section. Most of my stuff is from the women's department, but doesn't look overly girly. I guess fashion is our friend at the moment with all the tomboy styles, maybe that works for you for starters :wink:

I simply tried to "justify" why I wanted guys clothes/boyish clothes:
    - tell her lots of your friends are wearing this kind of clothing at the moment, it's totally in (Doesn't have to be true, though)
    - tell her you don't like how feminine shirts are so low cut, because it makes you uncomfortable
    - or that you like guy shirts better because they are a bit longer and don't show one's back as soon as one sits down
    - with glittery stuff or something like that, just be honest and say whether you like it or not, because that's likely something she'll understand, 'cause I also know lots of girly girls who don't like to wear overly shiny and heavily patterned stuff
    - you can also say you don't like how girl's shorts are so super short, and show her a pair of men's shorts which are somewhat of the same style, just longer
    - and honestly my personal favourite: Mum, it's actually total bullshit, that whole men's and women's clothes, if I choose to wear a hoodie from the men's department it becomes a girl's hoodie as soon as I start wearing it, nobody's going to care =) that usually works =D

Just some suggestions, hope that helps =) Good luck