1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dressing butch v. Cross-dressing: What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by IJustWantToLove, Jun 23, 2014.

1. IJustWantToLove

What is the difference between dressing butch and cross-dressing, like where is the line? I'm not trans*, I'm okay with being a girl, I just enjoy wearing more masculine/androgynous/not so girly stuff and since I've come across a few clothing threads which I found interesting, I just wondered about that... I'll try my best to describe what I mean and I hope it doesn't sound too stupid, please excuse my lack of knowledge...

So far whenever I venture into the men's department I basically go for not overly masculine stuff like Hoodies, T-Shirts, Shorts and Shoes, because I feel like those are things which are mostly not strictly associated with males (like what I mean is you can get somewhat similar hoodies in the women's department, too, so it's not Hoodie = Man). And when I wear them I don't feel like I'm wearing guy's clothes. But I'm wondering if I could for example pull of a obviously men's button down as tomboy/butchy style?
    (Something like that: http://www.amazon.com/Doublju-Mens-Dress-Shirt-Contrast/dp/B0068EB8DK/ref=zg_bs_tab_pd_mw_3)

I recall several times during carnival when I would wear my father's old suit and tie and dress up as a male figure, that's what I think would be some sort of cross-dressing? Like making the conscious choice of dressing up?
    But when it just sort of fits one's style and doesn't feel overly masculine when worn, would that be dressing butch?

2. Shell110

To me, "butch" is a clothing style that I wear because it makes me feel more comfortable. When I say comfortable I don't mean that the fabric is soft or loose - its the fact that it accurately expresses my gender identity as a masculine appearing female. For me, dressing butch is more of a personal comfort than anything else.

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I think it's the same. Maybe a butch do it because she's lesbian while a crossdressed do it and could be simply straight?

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, they are both the same thing. I see it as two different ways of saying the same thing. Cross-dressing is wearing clothing of the opposite gender, and many butch people wear clothing for the opposite gender.

So, I think that the different phrases are 2 ways of expressing the same thing.

5. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I might be wrong, but I think there's a difference.

When a woman wants to dress in a butch style she wants to make people know that she's a masculine person while a crossdresser would want to dress herself that way to make people think that she's a man.

6. IJustWantToLove

Ok, thanks for clearing this up =)

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2014 at 02:13 AM ----------

Thanks for the replies so far =)

That's the kind of notion I had, too, I guess

7. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I personally think when a women wears mens clothing she is just wearing what she likes and is showing everyone who she is (a butch woman) while a women who crossdresses as a man may want to be seen and treated as one and finally some women simply find "male" clothing more comfortable then "female" clothing .

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know, I think crossdressing can have different meanings to different individuals. When I present male, it doesn't feel like crossdressing because it's aligned with my gender identity, but presenting female, while considered "normal", feels like crossdressing to me, if that makes any sense?

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see it as being about the intention of the person doing it. If you're a girl and you're dressing how you want, and your style happens to be masculine, you're dressing butch. If you're a girl and you're purposely dressing to look like a guy, then you're crossdressing.

10. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean does cross-dressing really exist outside of things that serve a purpose for a specific sex? (i.e. jockstrap, bra)