1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get a feminine voice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PenguinLover, Jun 23, 2014.

1. PenguinLover

Physically in Oklahoma. Mentally in Delaware.
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hai EC community! I've had a slow but steady transition that I've been happy with thus far. But there's one thing that's been really bugging me lately, my voice. I can get to the right pitch kinda okay (still needs some work for lasting long without sounding breathy), but my voice always has a masculine sounding undertone no matter how high i can get. How can I fix all that?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're on estrogen, I think it will change eventually.

Otherwise, I don't really know. My own voice can go pretty low, but like you, (and unlike you) it has a feminine undertone. I don't think I can really escape that until I take testosterone. I hear you can train it away, though?

3. KayJay

Actually estrogen doesn't change the voice. Some say it does but I believe that is placebo.

You could try a voice therapist as someone has actually just recently made a thread about. If you can not find one around you or it is too costly, whatever the reason, there are lots of informative articles and youtube videos and even tutorials that can help.

I definitely think voice is one of the biggest hurdles!

4. PenguinLover

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the replies everyone! :slight_smile: And it's nice to know that someone else is in the same boat as i am.

Is a speech therapist the same thing as a voice therapist? Because I can only find speech therapists in my area. But tools like youtube will be a big help in the process

#4 PenguinLover, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't? Damn, that really sucks.

But yeah, therapy - good luck if you decide on going!

6. KayJay

I would imagine it is the same thing, kind of like saying napkin/serviette.

I think everyone has the ability to get a really spot on female voice. It just takes lots of dedication and motivation, which some people just don't have. I even admit I somewhat fall into that category, I should try a bit harder!

7. PenguinLover

Out Status:
    A few people
    Good. And I just checked an offical source (Voice and Communication Therapy for Transgender/Transsexual Clients) to see that they are the same. Which is good because otherwise I'd just have another reason to leave my current location.

Yeah. Maybe i should watch some motivational videos before I get started full time lol

Well good luck to you both on your life journeys :thumbsup:

8. jesseve

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I generally agree, but in rare cases it does change the voice. But my case may be a bit extreme. I sound like Minnie Mouse (no kidding) and can't even access my lower voice range when on oestrogen. In fact, the voice is the first change I noticed from being on oestrogen.

The last time I created a thread about my voice change. Well, my voice has become much higher than since then. I believe that the reason behind it is my young(ish) age, and that my vocal cords have probably not developed fully yet. I had a late puberty (and maybe I am still undergoing puberty, I dunno).

Or, maybe this is just a rare side effect of oestrogen on me and I should see my doctor about it? =P But I can say with 100% certainty that it has changed my voice tremendously.

9. KayJay

Oh, right. If you are young enough then yes it will effect your voice, as long as your vocal chords aren't fully developed.

10. PenguinLover

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm that's very interesting. Awesome for you to be lucky about that :slight_smile:
    Since I'm in my late teenage years and started puberty early, would it even work for me in two years?

11. KayJay

I really want to tell you yes but at the same time false hope isn't the best. Practice as much as you can without hurting your voice because even if there is a change from hormones it won't be a super flawless natural sounding voice without practicing.

In all the medical pamphlets and research I have seen voice changes are not listed as something that is to be expected by HRT. It is the opposite for transmen on hormones though, I think it almost always effects the voice.

To explain it in my own sort of crude way: Once your voice has been "Stretched" by testosterone at puberty, you cannot undo the stretching by taking away the T. Which is why for transmen T stretches theirs, as it was not stretched during puberty. That is how I think about it.

12. PenguinLover

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well there isn't an easy way out for everything I guess. I'll start working little by little to make my voice more of what I want it to be without killing it.

Lucky transmen... But the reason why is interesting

13. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    If you have an iPhone (not sure about other smartphones) do an app search with the keyword "transgender" which will bring up a series of voice training apps, for MtF, at least. I don't know if those apps have any FtM features or counterparts, so keep that in mind (to any trans-guys) here. Haven't purchased the apps myself but if anyone does buy them, it'd be beneficial to all trans* if someone could verify that one way or the other.

14. PenguinLover

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a very intriguing thought. It never came to me that the iPhone could have apps for voice training. But if they aren't free, like you said, it'd be nice to know if anyone has benefited from an app before I throw money at it.

15. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    A google search for app users' review would be a good place to start.

16. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there penguinlover!
    So voice therapy I just had my first hour long session yesterday. The best advice I can give you is males speak more from there chest while on the other hand females speak and it resonates from their head this mainly includes areas like the nose and temple. When practicing if you feel your lips sorta buzzing you're making progress!!! You do not want to have a lot of vibration in the chest area.
    There is a program out there for windows that I use to practice as well as my therapist called praat it's free and if you have questions on how to use it just message me I will walk you through or add me on skype or something maybe we can all teach each other : ) after therapy I sang girly songs all the way home and let me tell ya my voice was shot haha it actually hurt me to talk masculine. One thing you also can do all day every day even at work is saying "mhm" but use your head not your chest. A tip on achieving that is to move your tongue to the top of your mouth like if you burnt your mouth on a hot piece of pizza or something and say or hum I should say "mhm" it's a small exercise that over time will really help. Don't over do it either I think I practiced like 2 and a half hours last night but 30 minutes to an hour a day using praat would be just fine.
    Another big tip is to move your mouth a lot sorta like your chewing since women resonate more from their head it only makes sense that they have to open and move their mouth more right? Also practice breathing into your abdomen you don't have to gulp down a huge thing of air their to achieve a female voice but it allows you to sustain pitch better if you notice most males breath and their chest rises you want that belly to rise up doesn't have to be a lot normal breaths will do just fine

Do hormones affect voice? There is no proof of that that I've seen but I have heard in some cases it does I've been on HRT for a month but have seen no natural voice change as of yet

#16 Alyssa'sTooCute, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  17. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  18. PenguinLover

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everyone for the awesome advice! (*hug*) I got a better idea of what I can do now because of you guys :icon_bigg