1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for deepening my voice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JoshuaTree, Jun 25, 2014.

1. JoshuaTree

Hi EC,

lately I've become super dysphoric because of my voice. I don't have the highest feminine tone but it still manages to make me uncomfortable. In the past my voice got lower for a while because I used to smoke but I quit few years ago (!) and I don't intend to start again.

I found some tutorials on the Tube and I'm planning to try them* but I was wondering if anyone here has already tried some of them and which are the most effective ones?

Thanks!

* One is the humming with your throat extended and the other one is the "ding/dong, king/kong, bing/bong.."

2. ProtegeMoi

Try to make your voice resonate in your chest? I know that to speak more feminine I have to do the opposite. Listen to male vocalists and try to match them. With out adding the magic T or a Darth Vader voice modulator I can't help much.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One thing that has helped me a lot is learning to talk from my chest. Also, singing along with male vocals helped me to lower my voice too.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say "Boom Your Voice", but you mentioned that. I second what Brad said about trying to speak more from your chest. It's hard to describe how to do that, but you'll know when you get there.

5. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its all about resonating in your chest.
    download a program called praat and use it to analyze your voice.
    the Masculine voice range starts at 120Hz.
    But to be honest lets ask ourselves, what does sounding masculine or feminine actually mean?
    There are millions of CIS gendered people who are female who im sure may have a lower voice tone than others and vice versa. I wouldnt worry too much about voice.
    But personally what I do for practice is try to speak as soft and as fem as i can all day at work in life etc. As time goes on itll just be natural.
    Things take time. And after seeing my psych today I realized speech therapy is a complete waste of money. Dont bother. You are honestly better off teaching yourself and letting it come naturally.

At times too HRT may affect voice slightly but it may not so dont bank on that.
    Think of your vocal cords as a muscle.
    When you lift weights it creates tears in your muscles which then heals to create more mass.
    To me why should our vocal cords be any different?
    You practice all day then when you sleep your vocal cords heal.
    Do you think Beyonce or Kellin Quinn just picked it all up in one day?
    Absolutely not!
    Take it slow you'll get there c :

6. JoshuaTree

I agree with you, but lately I've been really dysphoric and my voice is one of the few aspect of myself I can actually work on to make myself feel better while not on HRT.
    I'll definitely download the program you talked about.

Thanks to all of you for all the advice!

7. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you need help using it PM me and I can teach you how to properly use it.