1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Identity vs. Gender Expression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ash93, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been thinking quite a bit about gender identity and gender expression lately. It has been a bit of a plaguing problem for me. I feel I identify as a guy, despite being biologically female. Now this is all well and good, but I also feel like I am not necessarily opposed to wearing typically feminine articles of clothing. I have visited and re-visited this topic on many occasions, and I continue to have conflicting thoughts and emotions over it.

On the one hand, I was raised to be a girl. I was raised to wear feminine clothing, and I was raised to grow into a woman. I was a very good girl too. I know how to dress myself in dresses and skirts. I adore heeled shoes... well, shoes in general really. I know how to wear make-up (while I believe it is gender neutral make-up often comes across as feminine) though I don't always do so. I know how to be a girl.

On the other hand, I do not feel comfortable wearing most of my clothing due to my current body. My chest is a big source of dysphoria for me, and many other parts of my body have caused distress as well. I feel that were I to have been born with a male body, I would be much more comfortable wearing feminine clothing, yet I wonder if that is simply a product of my raising. Do I feel this way merely because I was raised to enjoy this clothing? If I had been born male would I feel the same way about masculine clothing?

Which brings me to my next point; masculine clothing. I want to wear more masculine clothing. I am quite excited at the prospect of presenting as a boy and wearing masculine clothing. But I also quite enjoy feminine clothing. Perhaps I simply want to wear both?

I have had a nagging thought that were I born male bodied, I would present as both masculine and feminine. I would love to be able to walk out of my house in black lace leggings, an over sized sweater, and some comfy heels. I would also quite happily leave my house in slim fit cargo pants, a pair of Vans, a men's hoodie, and a beanie. This sounds like gender fluidity, but I don't really identify with that term. I want to be a boy. I want male pronouns, and I want a more masculine name. I want chest surgery, and I believe I want hormones too.

I cannot decide if this fluidity in my gender expression is due to the way I was raised or not. I do not have access to hormones, nor do I have a binder and packer. I cannot really attempt to try out different gender presentations at the moment, and it is leaving me thoroughly confused over this subject. I feel as though I want an androgyny to my gender expression. I want to be male bodied, but I also want to be able to present myself as masculine or feminine according to my whims. I feel a little lost as to why I have these thoughts and feelings, especially since I don't identify with the term 'gender-fluid.'

I'm starting to ramble though, so I shall end by asking for any thoughts on what I've said thus far.

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Maybe you're a crossdresser guy?

A lot of cisguys enjoy crossdressing, such as wearing feminine clothes, heels and so on (by crossdressing I don't mind a fetish, simply crossdressing).

Rarely, when I dress something of femminine, I feel like a draq queen :grin: Do you feel the same?

3. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think of myself as a drag queen, though the term does apply. I don't wish to wear padding, or give myself the appearance of breasts. I want an androgynous appearance I suppose. I want to be able to present as both masculine and feminine, while identifying as a boy. I haven't really heard of a term for that though.

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Then you can be an androgynous guy. Do you know David Bowie? Despite his gender identity is male (it's clear), he's androgynous.

Your brain -> a man's brain

Your look -> androgynous one, you could pass both and a man and as a woman

What do you think?

5. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! Thank you! I believe I was looking for validation of my thoughts and feelings. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Anytime (*hug*)