1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[rant] My mom wants me to get a "real" girl.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CharlieHK, Jun 29, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I am a lesbian, well to be more exact i am attracted to the gender "female". I don't care about the outside.

So my girlfriend isn't out, and I can't blame her, telling your parents you want to be female when they are strict and traditional is scary, especially when your 17 and still under their "thumb". So me being a lesbian is only known between my girlfriend Kelsey, some of our close friends, and my parents.

A casual conversation on some related topics got us into this:
    Mom: "why don't you just get yourself a real girl?"
    Me: "What do you mean?"
    Mom: "you know a real beautiful girl that you'll be attracted to."
    Me: "I have that with Kelsey"
    Mom: "she's not beautiful,(realizes i'm scowling at her) well, she's not beautiful in my eyes"
    Me: "why do you care?"
    Mom: "I want you to be happy, come on that's no woman, you could do so much better than him-her-..Kelsey."
    Me:"So what you're saying is people like Kelsey will only be able to date once they are perfectly transitioned and 'attractive'?"
    Mom: "..."

I just had to rant. I'm angry. Not at my mom entirely, because she'd very ignorant to this stuff...but still.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That is so mean and your girlfriend is a woman I'm honestly tired of this real girl crap . :tantrum: at least she accepts your lesbian but this is still not right .

3. KayJay

Well this is a mood souring thread. Especially when I share the name of your girlfriend! It made it feel so personal.

I'm really sorry to hear your mother's thoughts on your girlfriend. It is a shame that many people still are not supportive of the trans* community even if they support other parts of the LGBT community.

(*hug*)

4. Hexagon

That sucks :frowning2: I'm sorry your mother can't be less prejudiced.

5. wolf of fire

Quote Shakespeare at her "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" might work.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to speak ill of your mom, but she's being a cruel bitch. What does she care what your gf looks like? As long as you're happy, that's what counts. Your mom's opinion of her appearance plays no part.

7. juliegt6

This plus one hundred.

My girlfriend's mom actually would prefer she was dating a cis woman, and kind of views dating a trans woman as settling. While I'm offended at this, she convinced her mom to come to this side of the state soon to have dinner with us. She says she thinks I'll win her mom over, I really hope she's right. We have only dated a short while, but we do care about each other. Anyway, her mom has reason to be on this side of the state already, so it's at least a while you're there situation rather than a special trip, which makes this a little lower pressure!

#7 juliegt6, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

It get's annoying because we've been together 21 months. I'm sorry you are dealing with the same sort of thing. Parents want their kids to have the best, but they judge the best on personal opinion, not what their child sees as best. :frowning2:

9. juliegt6

Wait, 21 months and she's still picking at her? That'd dumb from a lot of standpoints! Your girlfriend could very well end up being her daughter in law very soon. At this point, she should keep any negative opinions of her child's partner to herself because of that very possibility.

Christine and I only have a fraction of time together comparatively, and my mom has expressed that she it's happy I've found someone that I care about. She knows my partner is trans, and actually said that she'll probably relate to me and understand me like no one else ever will because of that. She views this as a positive thing. Her mom is less enthused... but Christine I'd worth it, at least so far!