1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non binary people, how do you express your gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wuggums47, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I'm curious as to how non binary people dress and transition. I'm starting to get a good sense of how I want to dress, and what changes I'd like to make to my own body. I'm curious as to see how other people transition, and how they express their gender through clothing and what not.

2. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    On transitioning I just got myself a binder. thinking about getting top surgery. I would kind of like a lower voice and no fucking periods but I don't think I want the hormones.
    I dress pretty masculine at the moment. I do wear clothes out of the womens section but noting that seems to genderd. I guess if nobody could see my chest i would wear an occasional skirt/dress/eyeliner again.

3. My gender expression varies a bit depending on how I feel at the time. For months, i would wear a binder every day, button up shirts, baggy jeans and nondescript black skate shoes. But my hair is cut slightly more feminine than masculine (for now, as I'm planning to shave my head next month!). My voice will give me away as faab. It's a bit too high to be in any way considered masculine, but that doesn't usually bother me, tbh.

Ideally, I would bind, wear a slightly oversized button up shirt, tight leggings, beat-up black leather combat boots and buzz all my hair off. I might slap a beanie on there for good measure. If I'm feeling really spunky, I'll put on some red lipstick.

If I buzz my hair off, i can wear makeup, but generally I feel uncomfortable if both my hair and my makeup are construed as feminine, even if my clothes are more traditionally masculine for the most part. I like it to be a more even mix. I can do a couple traditionally feminine things and a couple of traditionally masculine things at one time, but overall I like the effect to be decidedly mixed. I'm trying to cultivate the idea in myself that there truly aren't 'girl things' and 'guy things', that everything I put on myself or have is a 'queer thing' because those things are mine and my body is mine and I am queer.

I probably will get top surgery one day, but we'll see. I go through periods of extreme doubt on the matter, and it's not like I have money right now anyway, so there's time to deal with that. I just hate binding. (Though not as much as I hate bras, tbh.)

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've medically transitioned (hormones, top surgery), and I don't retain too much of a masculine appearance (other than keeping short hair, but I keep clean shaven for the most part). I wear whatever I like to wear. Most of that tends to be androgynous, either deliberately or unintentionally. I also like to wear makeup sometimes, though not too often. I guess I come across as naturally androgynous regardless of what I wear or how I look.

5. Hexagon

I don't, really. I just look and act like a guy.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've also mostly been trying to express my gender through mixing clothing. I wear mostly unisex things or slightly masculine clothing, then a mix of accessories. For example wearing a fedora and a boa. Luckily as a fibre artist I have the ability to make my own accessories, and make them as feminine or masculine as I want. I know what you mean about clothing not being boy or girl on me, I just view them as androgynous like me, especially when mixed. Lately I've been thinking of being a bit more daring and wearing a bow tie and a bow in my hair, as well as getting laser hair removal. It's nice to see all the different responses.

7. MickH

As for transitioning, I don't have any desire for surgery; that might change sometime, but I kind of doubt it.
    I do favor short hair; I love short hair on everyone. I wear makeup, but just a little eyeliner, mascara, and maybe some lipstick.
    Sometimes I dress more 'feminine'(usually if I'm dressing up a bit more than normal) my everyday wear is more neutral jeans, t shirts and sweaters, but I like to think that the way I dress reflects my queerness. I always wear dark colored clothes, and my way of dressing has been called 'punk' before.
    I don't bind, and I usually don't really want to, although there have been a number of days where I have looked in the mirror and thought 'damn I wish my boobs were smaller'. It's mostly because I think my outfit would look better if my chest weren't so big rather than dysphoria though.

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I'm just manly.

9. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear makeup too - foundation, sometimes eyeliner/mascara, if I feel like it. I usually bind, and wear men's shirts/jackets/tops, but girls jeans. I sort of play mix-and-match every day. If I look in the mirror, and get dysphoric, I change. I usually am pretty dysphoric, though, so there's a middle line of what is acceptable and what is not.

I am considering going on T, maybe a low dose or something, but I am terrified of doing so, mostly because T has both effects I want and do not want. I also want to cut/shave my hair some more. I have considered binding, but I have no issue with my breasts if I just bind them.

You mentioned a fedora - I really like those...beanie hats? Skater hats? Skull-caps? I am not sure what they are called where you live.

10. ctrl alt delete

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I relate a lot to how thedreamwatch describes how they dress. I'm feeling more and more there's a philosophy behind how I dress, and that what I'm trying to say in how I present is that I don't fit into the binary model.

I guess I try for an androgynous ideal. But I doubt I'm ever gonna be read as anything but a biological male unless I start going more "extreme", which I don't want to do. I like wearing some make up, mostly nail polish and eye makeup right now. I like keeping my body hair down but not shaving too much.

I like wearing clothes that make me seem thin and I guess a little flamboyant. Colours that would be associated with girls and styles that are cut slightly different so are harder to read as a guys cut for clothes. I also dress in black a lot. It's just easier and people seem to be more accepting of goth or emo as androgynous for some reason. Or maybe that's just in my head and I just like to wear black. :grin:

My appearance still causes me a lot of anxiety though, especially my hair line which is a very masculine hair line (I didn't realise until I started to come out that there was a difference). So I wear a hat a lot. I'm trying to get more comfortable with it. :icon_redf I'm still exploring though and feel I still have a ways to go with how I present. I wouldn't mind trying to present as female to see what its like and that.

11. AlexTheGrey

Wow, this thread was started right before I signed up, and I missed it. :frowning2:

I'm in a bit of a weird place myself, there with the expression side of things. If I were to be more open about the things I do, I would raise some eyebrows. Dress, not so much. There's kinda that realm of things you can wear as a man or a woman, and people don't really bat an eye. That's where I've found myself most comfortable for the longest time. I've been lucky that my job doesn't require business dress, as that would make me uncomfortable enough that I couldn't handle it. My mode of dress is probably more agender, but my behavior is more androgyne. It's a tad weird.

As for any sort of transitioning, really just hiding secondary sex characteristics is about it. I did wish it took less prep in the mornings though that I keep lapsing and getting in a funk when I do lapse. My body doesn't really bother me enough beyond that.

12. oncetherewasa

I also tend to always wear "women's" jeans with "men's" tops. I've never been comfortable in dresses and only occasionally do I feel like wearing a skirt (with leggings). I don't usually wear shorts unless they're cargo or baggy, athletic. I wear make up sometimes, whenever I'm in the mood for it or feel that it will compliment an outfit or help me express myself that day.
    I'm very dysphoric about my chest but get severe neck/shoulder pain from binding so I don't do it very often. I'm definitely planning to get top surgery within the next few years, once I have the money.

I'm super indecisive on whether I'd want to start hormones or not. There are some changes from T that I'd really like to experience and have but others I'm not so sure I'd like. I don't think I'd be able or want to take it for life cause I'm horrible at maintaining strict routines/schedules with meds and related essentials. And I feel like I would look too male for my liking and would start to have a different kind of dysphoria. Being on T for about 6-12 months seems alright, to attain a sort of androgynous appearance/voice that lingers even after going off. I just don't know if I could cope being off of it after experiencing more energy/endurance and no menstrual cycles for awhile. So I probably won't ever start T. But eh, who knows.