1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing Drag as NB?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by artiewhat, Jul 2, 2014.

1. artiewhat

I've wanted to do drag for a long time now but I'm concerned about how, as someone who identifies as nonbinary, and especially as someone who is DFAB, being a drag queen would work out.

Whenever I mention it someone, they say I couldn't because I'm a girl :eusa_naug or that I don't have the personality.

Going off these reactions (from my normal go to support peeps no less) I don't know if I should, could, or even would be able to start...

Any advice?

2. birdking

My advice is ANYONE can do drag. Don't listen to anyone telling you you can't.

Also, personality isn't really a factor in drag at all?? Just throw on some fancy clothes and stuff and do your thing, buddy.

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think that anyone who wouldn't normally dress up in exaggerated female clothing can be a drag queen. And anyone who wouldn't normally dress up in male clothing can be a drag king. Also your friends are wrong, from what you filled out as your gender, you aren't a girl. You are XX, but that doesn't restrict who you can and can't be.

4. PaganPoetry

I sometimes do have the same dilema because I do consider myself an androgyne but I think anyone can do drag. If you have ever watched RuPaul's drag race there have been female contestants and they have done pretty well and are still continuing to do drag so don't let someone tell you that you can't because anyone can do drag! Also on the personality, yeah I think you do need to have a personality, but doesn't everyone have a personality? Just try to be more open if you are a shy person and don't be afraid to let yourself out! try watching other queens or go to events where other queens are at. Always remember though that there is no one way to do drag, everyone can have their own style of drag and you never have to fill into someone's expectations! (I am not practicing drag yet but I hope to soon when I save up some money)

5. artiewhat

Thank you all for your thoughtful advice! It's really helped me out and I'm totally going to start doing drag. (I'm very excited.) Thanks for giving me the courage to do this! (*hug*)

I think you're right. I think I should just go for it.
    This actually really made me feel better just in general? I've been concerned I guess about how being agender would affect my opportunities and this really helped!
    I'll try to keep that in mind. That's really cool!! Let me know how it goes. (Have you thought about your name yet?)