1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you think about your gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by QuiteAlright, Jul 2, 2014.

1. QuiteAlright

Out Status:
    A few people
    Whether it's cis or trans or queer or what have you, how often do you think about it? Does it color everything you do? Do you forget about it until someone mentions it? Somewhere in between?

Do you think that trans people think about their gender more often than cis people, or is it about the same?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just very curious. :slight_smile:

2. Gwendolyn

I think about my gender all the time. Almost constantly. That's probably just me though.

3. Kat 5

I would say that I think about it every 30 minutes or less. It does preoccupy my mind and get in the way sometimes.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I think about it a lot actually. I think trans people are more likely to think about it than cis people since gender isn't an issue for cis people.

5. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think about it a lot. Probably a lot more than what's healthy, actually.

6. songbird

My gender issues do preoccupy my thoughts the majority of the time I'm awake. It's definitely not healthy, but I can't help it, lol. And now that I'm out as trans to some of my family I'm worried I'll overwhelm them by feeling almost TOO comfortable and voicing my thoughts to them.
    Example: I've only been out for a day and I can tell my mom is just tired and needs a break. I cautiously and sensitively asked my parents about going by a new name a pronouns and even though they seemed happy to comply with that last night when we first talked, today my mom was like "well, I just don't want to have to go rough all these changes with you in one week." And I totally get that, which is why I'm trying my best to be patient, but I don't think they truly understand just how thought-consuming and important this is to me.

7. TheStormInside

For comparison's sake, I'm a cis female and I don't think about my gender much. It's not an issue for me. Occasionally I think about gender roles. Questioning my sexuality, however, that is constantly on my mind. It seems to be natural if something is worrying or wearing on you that it will be in your thoughts more persistently.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a cis female, but I do think about my gender sometimes, more recently. I have a lot friends who are trans, genderqueer or agender, and my boyfriend is trans. Since I am so exposed people of this community, it is something that I think about

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not kidding, this is true: for 45 years of my life, never questioned my gender as such, and am still comfortable with, and love being. a guy (physically). But just this morning (what a coincidence!) I did question how I perceive myself internally; I think this is the first time I have seriously done so. Because I must admit, run-of-the-mill, 'manly' straight guys have mostly excluded me from their company over my life, I always thought it was my unusual appearance or something, but now I suspect they could sense that maybe I don't strongly identify with being 'male' in the macho sense; I mean, internally I feel just as connected to the feminine as I am to the masculine, not one more than the other. And I think I have always regarded this as normal - to be happy having the male body, but to be kind of 'multi-gendered' (or is it, no-gendered?) internally; but I am now thinking, maybe most guys don't feel this way at all...?

10. KayJay

I know exactly what you mean. When I came out to my dad and step mom I kind of let them do it slowly and had them use my new name first but not switch the pronouns yet until they had the name down. Kind of so they didn't have to feel all overwhelmed with change.

I think about it for a good chunk of the day. I find though that since coming out last year I have been slowly thinking of it less and less.

11. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no idea why, but every day, especially when I go on the internet.

I am not out offline, and the people I'm out to don't use my preferred pronouns, so the net the only place I can feel like... well, me.

12. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Actually... Not that much. I think about how people think I'm 15 or so, and don't take me seriously because of that... But my gender, I only think about when talking on here.

13. tone

I think about my gender not constantly but a lot of the time. That's probably because a lot of my free time is used to watch trans related videos or learn more about being trans. But even when I'm doing normal stuff, it's pretty constantly on my mind. I think for me it's also reaffirming to tell myself that, yes, I am a boy, a lot. But since I'm not out to many people I get a reminder every time someone uses my birth name or the wrong pronouns or whatever.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I think about my gender quite often, maybe too often... Considering I'm involved enough with trans stuff online and offline, it's somewhat a given. Fortunately it isn't on my mind all of the time like it used to be prior to me coming out, or when I was first starting to come out about it.

I could still preoccupy my mind with more productive things, I guess *shrug*

15. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think about it all the time. At the very least every hour unless I'm just very busy with something specific. I especially think of it when I do something that surprises myself that I consider gender-specific or more inclined to be done by one gender or the other. I think about it all the time every day however, no question there.

16. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

It's an obsession, and yes I can't stop thinking about it.

17. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes a lot actually. Every day I'm thinking about if I'm a boy or girl that day, if I can't decide then I'm nothing ^.^

18. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think about it practically every day, but it's nowhere near as obsessive as I used to think about it. I wonder about how I will be able to come out to my friends, how I will be able to live my life, (etc.)

19. stormborn

since i'm constantly reminded whenever someone refers to me... pretty often.

20. ProtegeMoi

A bit too much, more recently because when you're closer to the next step and its a waiting game its hard to distract yourself.