1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to subtly bring up gender in conversation.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by stormborn, Jul 3, 2014.

1. stormborn

so i don't really pass too well either way, and there have been a few instances where i've had a long conversation with someone and after, they ask me my gender. i'm not bothered by it, but i want to put these poor, confused people out of their misery :lol:

i'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to subtly gender myself in a conversation, in situations such as getting a hair cut, chatting with receptionists, talking to some one on the bus, and so on.

2. birdking

yeah that's a tough question! I have the same problem (well I haven't in awhile but I think I confuse strangers still)

I used to claim i was in boy scouts and slip that into conversation whenever I got haircuts so they wouldn't make my hair too feminine. That's really the only suggestion I have?? Pretend you were part of some male-exclusive organization, I don't know.

3. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Assert your maleness in conversations. For instance: "As a man," Talk about a product or activity you engage in that embodies masculinity. Act like the average guy would with your mannerisms. Talk in a deeper voice.

4. stormborn

ah, that might work because i'm actually in girl guides :lol: though boy scouts here has changed to including girls, so that might not work, but it's definitely a good idea! thanks!

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2014 at 09:00 AM ----------

i'm working on lowering my voice (it's a long and srduous process :lol: ) but those sound like good tips! thanks!

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Start using more gendered expressions, like "I'm the kind of guy that X" Or "As a man I would like Y".

6. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're welcome. I hope they work for you. :thumbsup: