1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you see yourself in dreams?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KyleCats, Jul 4, 2014.

1. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For most of my life I've dreamed in third person, and I'm not always there. It's more like I'm watching a movie or something. On the occasion I dream in first person, I never remember speaking or seeing myself. Sometimes I don't have a form at all.

Several months ago that changed. I started dreaming in ways where I could see myself, and I'm male bodied and voiced. These dreams are more vivid and I remember more details about them. I had one the other night. It was nice.

The change correlates to my realizing I'm trans. Just as in my waking state, I'm no longer angry and living in a fog of uncertainty, my subconscious mind seems to have been cleared and calmed as well.

I still have a lot of nightmares, but those usually fall back into the first person scenario where I can't tell what I am.

So I'm curious how others see themselves. Does your dream self match what you see in a mirror? Do you appear how you would like to look one day? For those of you that pass, do you ever dream of yourself as you once were?

2. ProtegeMoi

I dream in third person like a film. I've had the dreams where I looked female, but I've never had anyone call me by a different name. They don't use my current name either. I guess its because I haven't picked out one yet.

A lot of my dreams are like slasher movies, but im never afraid and always escape to safety. I have those dreams way too often. A few nights ago I had one that was sexual and I had lady parts. When I woke up I was so freaking confused and I can't really describe the feeling but my body didn't feel like my own for a while and when i realized I was still male version 1.0 I got disheartened and heavy feeling.

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Usually I switch bodies sooo I'm in this head and then in this and sometimes I'm in third person. But I can't see exact faces or expressions. I just know who it is or should be.
    I think I never dreamed of myself (how I really am) so far or if, not often or I can't remember. I dream of some persons of my phantasie or movies/tv shows/whatever.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm usually not even aware of who I am, I'm just there. I have had several dreams where I was male though. I've had a couple of dreams where I had a female body and I got dysphoria in the dream that lasted throughout the next day :frowning2:

5. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I mainly dream in third person, but if it's in first person I can't control myself. Like you said it's like watching yourself in a movie.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dreams are so hazy and I can't remember them well. I feel so detached from the small amount of dreams that I do remember.

7. stormborn

usually i dream in third person, and i look as i currently do, or at least somewhat similar (if anything, i look a bit older and more like a cis male). this is pretty recent, though. for the longest time in dreams i looked like i did when i was 7-10. sometimes i still do. but usually my dreams are so hazy and panic-filled, i don't really take note of my gender/sex.

a couple times i've had dreams where i had male anatomy, and when i woke up and realized i am the way i am, i felt utterly depressed and defeated. i tend to not like those dreams.

8. Wobbly

Interesting that there's a thread about dreams after I have a strange dream.

Nearly all the time my dreams are in third person but last night I had a dream in first. I'm not sure what gender I was in that dream but I had to fill out a form for something and when I saw that I had to write my name and gender I started to have a panic attack because I wasn't sure what I should put. I woke up mid-way through the panic attack in my dream and actually started to cry when I was awake.

9. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's usually me as a videogame character .-.
    Sometimes girl sometimes boy, or I can't tell.

10. LostInside

Most of my dreams are in first person, but sometimes I'll have a third person dream. I remember a dream i had when i was younger...i looked down and had male parts. I had several like that when i was young, maybe because I've always been attracted to women and my mind at the time only believed men and women could have sex together because that's just the way it works. I have never wanted to switch my gender (briefly when i was younger, but i didn't understand everything i was feeling), having male parts is not something I'm interested in at all. It took me by shock when i had that dream and when it happened again in another dream and the others after that. It really had me questioning myself for a bit.

Anyways, got of topic there. Sometimes i can lucid dream and it's very awesome when you realize you are dreaming and anything you can think of is possible. Just think it or sometimes you have to say it and it appears. I got good at it for a little while, but things happened in real life so it was harder to concentrate. If i ever lucid dream again I'm going to look myself in a mirror and see what my subconscious thinks i look like.

11. Yosia

I dream i am a girl, that is also one of the reasons i have an idea of what i want to look like. ^.^

12. anonym

anonym Guest

I have always dreamed in 1st person, I think. Who I am in my dreams has always been consistent with who I am in real life. I am no longer female in my dreams which is good because I'd spend the next day extremely dysphoric. I haven't had a dream where I am male bodied either. My body doesn't really come up in my dreams but I always know that I'm trans.

13. Hexagon

I don't. I don't ever remember seeing myself in a dream, as I always dream in third person, and I don't recall ever so much as looking down at what I was wearing. I seem to be genderless in dreams.

14. Gwendolyn

My dreams are always in first person. I have had dreams where I'm female-bodied, but for the most part, I think I'm male in my dreams(which is unfortunate). The few dreams where I am female are always amazing though.

15. birdking

generally I think I dream in 3rd person

I don't really think about gender when I dream I guess. I mean I've had some dreams where I'm male but I think it happens when I stress myself out about gender things and it's on my mind before I sleep.

16. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

When I was younger, it was usually in third person or it was from my POV. It's pretty recent that my dreams show me as male. In romance and my sexuality, I love as a man so I suppose it's not entirely strange that my unconscious mind has accepted that fact. The only things that get weird is that in the dream, being male-bodied is normal but the whole time, my mind is screaming, "WTH...is that what I think it is? *excited gasp* OMG, and it's mine?"

17. justjade

I usually dream that I'm female, and I usually end up in feminine roles. I don't have very many dreams where I'm actually male.

18. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see myself either. I dream in first person, but it's like I'm someone else looking through the eyes of another body.

Sometimes I dream that I'm male. Once, I was going into the women's restroom and some ladies were yelling at me. I went into a stall and did my business, but I didn't have male privates, and when I woke up, I was strangely weirded out.

I also had blue hair in that dream.

19. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually I'm not particularly aware of what I look like in my dreams, but when I am, I'm female. I figure that's because it's what I'm used to.

A few nights ago, though, I had a dream in which I was female, but the other sort of 'main character' of the dream was a boy, who was an entirely separate person but was also me. It feel kind of hard to explain, but in the dream it felt quite simple, and it still feels simple to me. And I feel like it definitely fits with my identity.

20. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some very interesting responses! Thanks everyone for sharing. I think it's odd how so many of us sometimes don't see ourselves as anything in dreams. I wonder if people who've never had a gender issue (for lack of a better word) have dreams like that.