1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do these terms mean?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ali101xx, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Ali101xx

Ali101xx Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    Just so I'm sure the meaning of these gender terms here please can you tell me what they mean and correct me if I'm wrong.
    Transgender-A guy or girl that feels that they've been born in the wrong gender or trapped in their biological sex. May or may not take hormones or therapy.
    What is a transsexual and intersexual person?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many people who are transgender are neither boys nor girls.

They can be both (bigender), neither (agender), or alternating (genderfluid).

There are also more genders, like pangender and two-spirited, which I'm not too familiar with. Sorry.

Simply put, transgender people are people who identify with any gender other than their birth gender. That's all.

Transsexual, in my opinion, is a transgender person who transitions. That means taking hormones, getting surgery, etc. All transsexual people are transgender, but not all transgender people are transsexual.

Intersex is a complicated term, so I'll direct you to a site:

What is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America

Hope I made sense.

3. birdking

^ YEP nice

gonna reiterate cause I'm practicing explaining things to people

There's pretty much tons of genders. It's simpler to say: you can be male, female, both, or neither. That's the general idea.

Transsexual is kind of an outdated term for someone who has transitioned. I'm not sure but I think some trans people don't like to use that word because it ends in "-sexual" which makes people think it's an orientation.

Transgender is anyone who does not identify with their birth sex.

as for intersex, that link pretty much covers it!

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody really knows.

5. WillowRose

The language describing the variety of gender identies and expressions is kind of a moving target. Myself, I use "trans*" to mean generically gender-non-conforming. But when it comes to talking about myself in any more detail than that, I tend to stay away from jargon and simply describe what my experience has been and how I envision living in the future.

That said, I've found the various Wikipedia articles that are collected under the general heading "Transgender Portal" to be useful and (as far as I can tell) accurate and up-to-date.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I mainly hear transsexual used for a word to describe trans women or men who are post-op or at least transitioning, while transgender is under a huge range of umbrella terms.

Intersex is someone who is biologically both male and female. This can include 'mixed' genitalia, or cis/binary genitalia (100% male or female in appearance) with the mix of having chromosomes or gonads of the other sex.
    Intersex people also have gender identities and a lot consider themselves binary man/woman too.

7. Calix

I don't like to use the term transsexual, but I think it's unfair to assume all transsexuals are going through physical transition. Not everyone who identifies as the opposite gender feels the need to take hormones/ have operations.

8. Hexagon

Transgender - Someone with a gender identity different to their assigned gender at birth. This is a much better definition that the one you gave.
    Transsexual - Transsexual is a somewhat outdated term meaning nearly the same as transgender, but specifically relating to a binary trans person who has, or plans to transition.
    Intersex - Someone biologically neither fully male or female
    And since I probably used another term you might not understand:
    Binary gender - Either male or female, not someone who falls on the spectrum between the two.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Wow, I never knew that transgender was anyone who doesn't identify as their birth sex. I suppose that makes me trans too.

10. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people don't like using the trans or transgender label, and that's fine.

Generalization may be bad, but it's not really something you can fully do away with.

Just my two cents.