1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name thread!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Entrian, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A thread to post your (chosen) name and why you chose it! What does your name mean? If you didn't change your name, why not? Is it similar to your given name or wildly different? Of course you don't really have to put your name, but I thought the stories behind it might be interesting.

My name is Alystor, which I chose because it's a way to explain what my nickname is short for without having to say my birth name. Also, I like it because my birth name means "queen" and I wasn't digging that, while Alystor means "Protector" so it makes me feel like a princess who didn't want to be a queen and therefore became a knight. :sunglasses:

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really get to use it yet, but I chose the name Jesse Mark [Mark is more of the middle name, but I would use both around people I don't know that well because Jesse is an entirely gender neutral name when you can't see the spelling so using the middle name too makes it clear that it's a male name].

I've liked the name Jesse ever since I read Bridge to Terabithia in fourth grade, and when I made a list of possible names, Jesse seemed to fit best. Mark was an impulsive decision I made once when I needed to use my initials on a website and I realized I didn't have a middle name chosen. I was thinking about the name because of the character Mark on Grey's Anatomy, I chose it because it made for nice initials, and it's stuck ever since. It was an impulsive decision, but I'm still happy with it.

I still use my given name (Sarah) sometimes on days when it fits.

3. Gwendolyn

I chose the name Gwendolyn because I loved the sound of it. However, I first heard the name from 2 cartoons (Ben 10 and Total Drama Island). Odd source, but not what I associate the name with anymore.

Gwendolyn is a name of welsh origin meaning fair/blessed ring. The meaning is somewhat odd, but I don't really mind. I love the sound of the name too much to care about the meaning.

Gwendolyn sounds nothing like my "real" name. I hate my "real" name. I would much rather never be associated with that name ever again.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I chose the name Max. I don't know why, I've just always liked it. It's simple and I feel like it suits me a lot. Also after I switched to that name I kept noticing it popping up in my past- like when I turned on an old video game I hadn't played in a while and I realized I named a character Max even though I hadn't even known I was trans when I got the game.

My birth name is Ruby so I guess the names sort of fit (Max and Ruby is a kids show/childrens book series in case anyone didn't know). I don't actually know if that's a good thing or not though :lol:

5. laurenc

laurenc Guest

my chosen name is lauren .I chose my name because I have liked the way it sounds and others have told me it suits me very well :slight_smile: ,it also is just a very nice name :slight_smile: . I knew the meaning but It has been so long since I looked it up so I forgot what it was :frowning2: . my given name and my chosen name are very different, the only thing they have incomon is they both end with n

6. tone

My chosen name is Cole, it apparently means victory of the people. I always thought (before I knew I was trans) that I would go by Sam since my birth name starts with an s, but then I asked one of my friends what my guy name would be (before I was out, like as a joke) and she said Cole. I had made up a character in my head who has an elaborate background story and who I would pretend to be whose name was Cole and I was like "yes! I could actually be this guy I made up and pretended to be". After that the name just stuck in my head and it went really well with my chosen middle name, Aaron, which is the name my parents would have given me if I had been born male (or, you know DMAB). But yeah, it also sounds pretty masculine to me and I just really like it a lot.

7. PotatoSmuggler

Nathaniel Alexander. I might change my last name too since it's uncommon and i don't want my past to haunt me and my family doesn't support me anyway. I don't know, it just kind of came to me and Nathan sounds similar to my brother's name.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander Jerick. I went on about how the story of choosing that went, so that's not new.

Last name department is mixed. I may just straight up take my fiance's last name, hyphenate mine and his, his and my mother's maiden name, his and his mother's maiden name or his and one of my pen name.

I'm not 100% sure, so I'll report back when I figure that out.

9. Superwoman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose the name Nieve as I was going to be my middle name if I was a girl and I liked it, its unusual and a really pretty name

10. Hexagon

My name is Alexander. It means defender of humanity. :grin:

11. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maxis here (hence the username), Max is my nickname.

I actually wasn't fully sure on what my chosen name would be for a while, but I came up with Maxis (without it being intended as an actual name) in those random night thoughts you get when you fall asleep, and miraculously remembered it in the morning. It had no meaning to it--I just heard random phonetics in my head, and out popped 'maxis.' (Was I subconsciously thinking about the developer of The Sims series? Possibly.)

When I thought it over in the morning, it was a lot like: "Maxis... Maxis... huh, sounds like it would work as a name for something, like a Tumblr URL, or a new game, or--...oh my God."

I realized Maxis is a nice androgynous-sounding 'Max-' name, and after a few days of thinking about it, I stuck with Maxis as my full first name and Max for short. That was over a year ago, and since I haven't had any thought about changing it, I suppose it was a good pick. :grin:

#11 Maxis, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  12. yven

Yven Konstantin. Yven because I wanted an extraordinary name like before and something that would fit together with my brother's name :slight_smile: it means "small warrior", how I found out later. I learned about that name during my long long search through online name books for a good name.
    And Konstantin because I also wanted something traditional paired up with it and I felt like it sounds good together. :slight_smile:

13. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kyle James (I wasn't sure about the middle name until recently).

My birth name is three syllables, starts and ends in A (making it too soft) and has a couple of fancy and very feminine pronunciations. Basically I wanted something total opposite to that.

Kyle starts with a crisp sounding K, it's short and there is no wrong way to say it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Other names I had tossed around were Jason and Kevin, and what I've chosen as a middle name, James.

There really is no "meaning" behind it, for me. I just wanted something that sounded right and fit my personality.

14. KayJay

I will leave out my last name as it could help identify me! Also it has stayed the same anyways.

My old was was Jordan Matthew, the first name was because my mother's maiden name was Jordan. Matthew is my father's name.

I chose to change it to Kelsey Jordyn. It was actually a toss up between Kelsey Jordyn and Jordyn Kelsey.I eventually went with Kelsey as my first name instead of the middle because I figured having my old name spelled differently but pronounced the same wouldn't help me feel much better. Plus it would be a waste of money to really change my middle name and a letter of my first name. So I went with Kelsey Jordyn. I like it a lot, I had used Kelsey as my online name for a year or two before I even came out, so it felt really natural.

15. omgitskyle

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I have 2 names really. Kyle is my birth name, and the name my family and teachers call me, but my friends have adjusted to calling me Kay, my preferred name.

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, that's weird. :lol:

17. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like above, no last name, but my given name is Shawna Lorraine. Shawna came from my mother's middle name (Shawn) with an A at the and and Lorraine was my maternal grandmother's name. I have decided (and when I'm a legal adult and can afford it) that my chosen name will be Christopher Adam. meaning-wise, I don't care as they're religious and I am an atheist, but I love the sound of both names.

18. Akane

Oliver is my chosen name.

My drag name is Oliver Atoms, I love science and I like the name Oliver so it seemed to fit quiet nicely.

My best friend from college called me Chad when I first dressed as a man (on Halloween, but to finally give it a try) and that seemed to stick for a while.

I remember I chose a name when I was 14, Seth Connley, and I had two of my best friends from high school call me Seth a bit.

19. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I decided to completely change my name. Before I realized that I was trans, I was going to change it to my professional name. Afterwards, I realized that neither name reflected who I really was as a person. My birth name is Spencer and I wanted to keep into that theme by having my chosen name start with an "S". I ended up with "Salem". It's Hebrew for "peace, well-being, and welfare," I remember looking for unisex "S" names when it came to me. I started looking it up and even though it isn't really considered as being unisex, it just spoke to me.

I just found out that one of its meanings is actually "complete, intact"! Wow! :grin: I wasn't expecting that. (!)

20. smokey-knows-all

i was born as sydney and i picked jayce because its a cool name and kinda different and idk it just feels like it fits