1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Following on

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by somegirl, Jul 10, 2014.

1. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So following in from my last post, if you didn't see it, I'll quickly explains basically, my friend was gunna start calling me liam, so that I felt like more who I am (male).
    Basically, she hasn't started. This was about 6 or 7 days ago we discussed it.cthe other night I took a load of pills and I was going to end my life, but I stopped, I took an overdose, but nowhere near a nought to do any damage. Anyway, the next day I told her what had happened and that what triggered it is that the was still calling me my female name and that it hurt and made me feel like she had a problem with who I am. She insisted this was not the case and that she was just unsure as to when I wanted her to start. Which is fair enough. So she told me that today she would start. That she doesn't want to hurt me, but she hasn't started. She's still calling me by my female name. It hurts like crazy and I'm here crying my eyes out.

Am I over reacting? I know it's gunna be hard for her to change, but after promising me she would start and telling me she has no problem with it at all and she'll go to doctors and therapy with me and whatever it takes to see me happy. She's broken it. She's breaking me.

I can't exactly bring it up again, because recently the only topic we've been talking about is me being male and I do t wanna keep doing that to her, but it hurts seeing her call me by kept female name. I don't know what to do.

I hope some people reply with advice, but if not atleast it's been a good vent.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    give her time bro, it's a big change in thinking and acting for her too.(*hug*)

3. KayJay

Do you remind her right after she says your female name? It might get annoying for her and you to keep reminding but just say something about it each time.

4. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just keep reminding her! Every time she says your old name quickly interject with a "Liam!" eventually she'll learn. And if she doesn't.. dropkick her to the floor and find yourself some new friends because you deserve to be happy.

5. Nick07

To be honest, yes you are overeacting. You can't let your life and happiness depend on just one person.
    Either it is a habit and she just keep forgetting, or there is some other problem. She can feel like supporting you is the right thing to do, but there can be something that is stopping her and making her uncomfortable. She may be also afraid to be the only one who will use the new name and to explain it to other people.
    You can start by introducing yourself by your new name to the people who don't know your old name. That can help you and her as well.