1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just flirting with possibilities

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by scarstar14, Jul 10, 2014.

1. scarstar14

So my birth name is Sarah, i have no problem with it really, but i also wonder if i go further into discovering my genderedness if I'd be more comfortable going all out male since im significantly more comfortable most of the time as male, so i was wondering if i look like i could be a 'Skye' to you guys, i really like the name, and for now i could just work it in as another middle name to let me get used to it and stuff.
    This sounds REALLY stupid of me since i kinda know answers. But i feel MALE but am happy and actually love my lady bits, though im happier without my chest since people see those. You dont ever have to intend to have surgery right? And me feeling male and considering myself so, doesnt have anything to do with whats down there? How the hell do i explain that. Im lesbian looking for a lesbian, but am a guy, and its more than just butch i promise that. So im just going through a little bit of questioning and discovering and quite confused right now.

2. Mogget

As far as I can tell, there's a movement within the trans community to renounce the "medical model" where trans-ness is seen as a medical condition requiring HRT and GRS to correct to one based on the idea that trans-ness is defined solely by not identifying as the gender one was assigned at birth. In this new model, dysphoria is not a requirement for being trans, whereas in the old one it is.

There's also a lot of trans people who feel the new model is harmful to trans people and devalues the experience of dysphoria and the severity of transphobia.

Since I'm just beginning to question my gender identity, I don't really feel qualified to say which, if either, is right.

3. scarstar14

That definitely helped explain a lot for me. As for right and wrong is there anything we ever consider wrong when people believe it to their gender or sexuality?
    But I'm getting from this that there's a lot of trans people who are like me with no intent if surgery. Is estrogen and testosterone included too? Because as appealing as getting T would be and making my body shape better I'm not really keen on all that permanent change, i mean i actually like my body even though it's not how i prefer to identify. I'm alittle confused now realizing the way i feel may actually be trans, since all my life i had the crudely simple definition of it that stuck... hmmm

4. Mogget

Definitely a lot of non-binary trans people don't take HRT, I think most binary trans people do, or at least want to, but I'm sure there's some who don't.

5. Akane

As a genderfluid myself, I can identity with some of your struggles. My birth name is Beth, and found out that not just females had this name, 386 men were born with this same name in the United States since 1954 up til 1989.

I am thinking about telling my friends about my drag name, since I really like the name Oliver and I had some friends of mine call me Chad (a name my first best friend in college calls me every once in a while). I was also called Seth (male equivalent of Beth) by my two best friends back in high school.

But sometimes I could care less if someone calls me Beth or "she" but sometimes, whenever I feel masculine or male then I kind of cringe.
    Sometimes I even get gender dysphoria but I don't take hormones for it because my feeling change almost all the time.

A bit of my experience as a genderfluid in this thread I created called http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/143524-am-i-just-queer.html
    if you want to check it out.

:slight_smile: