1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is gender? What does it mean to have one?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mogget, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Mogget

So recently I've begun to question my gender identity. It started when a conversation I had online about gender brought up the idea that you don't need dysphoria to not be cis, which got me thinking about my own sense of gender and the realization that I only ID as male because everyone around me does; I have no internal sense of being male, nor am I even sure what that would mean.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what does it mean when someone says "I am a man," "I am a woman," or "I am genderqueer"? As far as I can tell, the only commonality men as a group have is identifying as men, which seems kinda meaningless to me.

2. Nick07

Honestly, I have no idea. In my language gender=sex. And reading many posts from trans people here, I am starting to feel that gender has a lot to do with how other people see you.
    If we have a soul, does it have a gender? When you don't see the person and don't hear them, you can't say for sure if they are a man or a woman. Over the internet for example.

Maybe this is the reason why majority of people don't think about gender and they say "I feel like me" not like a man or a woman.