1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else bothered by "heterosexual" and "homosexual"?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by elover, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elover

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm talking about the words themselves, not whether or not straight people or gay people are bad. Those words don't tell who you're attracted to, but say who you're attracted to in relation to your gender. I like girls more than guys. If I were to continue living as a man I'd consider myself more straight than gay. But if I were to transition I'd be more gay than straight. My sexual orientation wouldn't change, but the word to describe it would.

I like "gynosexual" (liking girls) and "androsexual" (liking guys) better. "Bisexual" would still mean the same thing. And you can also have "androgynosexual," someone attracted to androgynous people, though that's kinda a mouthful. "Asexual" could mean those attracted to non-gendered persons, not those who have no attraction to any gender.

2. Mogget

I'm a fan of gynesexual (my preferred spelling, matches gynecologist) and androsexual too.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I feel like gynesexual and androsexual are good alternatives for nonbinary people to use but personally I have no problem with being called homosexual, I prefer it to androsexual. But that's just for me, if someone else prefers a different term then that's okay.

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not bothered by it if we're talking about a cis person. But when someone is transgender, it gets a bit weird and I prefer the androsexual and gynosexual.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, these labels don't really bother me. Of course, if others feel more comfortable using different labels then that's cool. But at the end of the day, labels tend to generalisations in themselves anyway. Even the labels you gave. For example gynosexusl is still quite general. You could argue that could mean you like all girls. And are we talking female physically or including those who are Trans and identify as female.

Do you see my point. It's not there is anything wrong with your label, it's just most labels by definition are still very general.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I personally never use the words 'heterosexual' or' homosexual'. I wouldn't so much say I'm bothered by them, just prefer others, like gay/bi/straight.

As for me I see myself as...
    emotionally/romantically: bi(but more towards the gay end)
    physically/sexually: something close to Asexual

7. Just Jess

They are what they are. They're confusing and inaccurate, just like most labels. It's all because all this stuff was poorly understood until recently.

I usually just run with homosexual. Depending on how I'm read, people might get the wrong meaning, but if they do it's just a chance to show a little solidarity :slight_smile: Gay guys are awesome people to be lumped in with. And my being a lesbian is really just a small part of who I am anyway. My transition's only a big part of my life because there's still obstacles in my way.

So yeah, there are way better labels. "Gynesexual" would describe me pretty well. Even "lesbian" would leave less to the imagination, and for a long time that was the only word I used. But ever since I became personally comfortable with the word "gay", labels themselves just have not bothered me much at all. Sticks and stones.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really.

Although, if the asexual's meaning was changed to what you proposed, what's the new word going to be?

It's going to take a while, regardless. Some people already use gynosexual and androsexual, but replacing homosexual and heterosexual will take a while.

9. twogendersonly

The problem here is that we create words based on what the majority of our population will understand them as meaning. 95% of people i know don't think there are more than two genders and so why would we cater to the slight percentage. It's unfortunate that you were offended but how do you think Mexican people feel when they watch Donald Trump speeches. I believe It's in society's best interest to toughen up and stop taking every single thing to heart.

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do think the gynesexual and androsexual labels are cool. I would like it if they became more mainstream and would have no problem using androsexual for myself.

I however have no problem with straight/gay as a label. I just don't like when people say that trans people are either excluded from those or that, for example, a straight guy is gay for liking trans women.

11. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually really like being able to refer to my attractions to men as being gay attractions because it feels very affirming of my gender in a world where most people see my attractions to men as being "straight". That being said, even though the words work well for me, I completely understand why they don't feel comfortable for a lot of people, and I'm glad there are alternatives. I think having gynesexual and androsexual exist as alternatives is great, although I don't think they should entirely replace gay and straight. Gay and straight (or heterosexual and homosexual) are words that have existed for a long time and work fine for the majority of the population, so it doesn't make sense to do away with them, but I think it would be great if the alternatives were more visible.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hella necropost...

13. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I think it's really interesting how I was straight-pan one day and then gay-pan !! But I actually really like having to change labels because it feels reassuring. Of course it's funny how I sometimes get confused and think of me and a girl "gay" but well.

Being trans it's about that, isn't it? You don't change. Your labels, your clothing, and your outer you change. Not your inner you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.