1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser hair removal question

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mogget, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Mogget

I have fairly light skin and dark hair, so it would probably work for me in terms of getting rid of my facial hair, but I've been having trouble working out how much it'd cost and how long it'd take beyond "cheaper and shorter than electrolysis." Anyone have any ideas? Also, how do you find a good place?

2. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, YES. This. I would also greatly appreciate any advice on the subject. I likewise have pale skin and dark hair. So.

3. KayJay

I went to a place in town that has good reviews for their other services (I didn't know anyone who had laser done). I went in and just asked about it and stuff, this was back when I had just come out. Like you I have light skin and dark hair mostly so she said it would work well. She told me on average it takes 6 appointments... 12 later and all the dark hair is mostly gone. Need to do electrolysis for the left over lighter hair. I did 4 appointments of electrolysis and I decided to take a break and start laser on my tummy and chest. I want to feel like I'm moving forward you know?

My appointments cost $170 CAD for my face. She gave me half off though, I explained my situation to the lady during my consultation and she gave me half off! The laser on my chest/tummy is only $50 but appointments are spaced 6 weeks apart which sucks. Wish it could all be done at once.

A thing to note is that laser hair removal isn't considered "permanent hair removal" it is actually "permanent hair reduction/thinning".

4. WillowRose

I went first to an electrologist. She looked at my facial hair, and recommended that (based on my mix of grey and dark whiskers, and my light skin tone) that I should get laser done first, then come back to her for electrolysis to clean up the lighter colored hairs that would be left. She seemed like she knew what she was talking about - has been in business for a dozen years - so when she named a couple of laser places, I picked one and went there.

What they offered was a package deal of 6 treatments for 800USD (half off their regular price), with a "lifetime guarantee" (meaning I can go back for further treatments at no additional cost ... Whatever). They were very clear that I was contracting for "reduction and thinning," not total removal. So far (after two treatments) what I've observed is that the dark ones are considerably thinned out, but the silvery ones are still coming in as thick as ever.

I too wish that the treatments didn't have to be spaced 6 to 8 weeks apart, but that apparently has to do with the cycles the hair follicles go through.

5. DhammaGamer

I did 7 or 8 laser sessions. It got rid of all dark colored hair, and it slowed hair growth. Unfortunately I have a red hue to my hair (even though it looks brown) so it's not as effective. I shave daily, and the hormones seem to have slowed things down a bit. Only had 5 hours of electrolysis so far and it hasn't done anything. Need like 150 hours minimum for electro. Laser is NOT permanent, and not even NEARLY as effective as extensive electrolysis. Personally ... unless you have sper thick, course, dark dark facial hair, i would recomend putting your money toward other things like lab work, hormones, and surgeries. Electrolysis can cost some people upward of 15-20k.