1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i just ordered a binder!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by smokey-knows-all, Jul 12, 2014.

1. smokey-knows-all

ive contemplated getting one before and tried binding a few random times and thought about gender but i was always like nope not going into that territory because when i was mentally going through things like not liking men at all instead of avoiding it using the label bi i would stay up just crying and hugging my cat because i knew i wasnt what everybody wanted and wasnt what i was supposed to be. thats a fucking long sentence haha. but lately ive had these thoughts intruding into my head ever since inventing a character alex to use in an essay i totally failed. ive just been thinking over gender stuff a few minutes at a time for a couple weeks now esp after a kid at the summer camp thing i work for asked me if i was a boy and i didnt know how to respond (pretty open minded kid who likes to paint pink man turtles XD). last night i went swimming with my friends and when i got home i looked in the mirror in my wet t shirt and swim trunks and just thought :grin: this is perfect

and i finally decided to bite the fucking bullet and buy a binder and yay!

also i havent been on here in almost a year and forgot how awesome the dancing banana guy is (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!) XD

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 07:46 PM ----------

also forgot he was in my sig
    (yeah im stupid)

2. stormborn

that's so exciting! i'm so happy for you!

3. smokey-knows-all

i just realized how much trouble ima get in if my mom finds out about it :/

4. stormborn

if you don't mind lying, you could say it is a workout tank top/bra? otherwise, try to get the package before your parents?

5. Akane

Hey that is amazing! I just ordered mine on the 10th of this month.
    I only tried "sort of" binding once and it was during 2012 Halloween, disguised as myself, I suppose, I wore a sports bra that was a size or two too small, and it worked pretty well.

Been thinking of buying a binder for years but never could find reviews for most of the ones I want to get of didn't have the money at the time for a good one. Finally got a microfiber one from Underworks. I wanted one that was breathable and one review on YouTube said it was very airy but I have to get used to it. My body is accustomed to wearing sports bras on a daily basis now, so this shouldn't be no different, it will take more time, but it will hopefully be a similar challenge to get accustomed to it.

If you want to know a bit of my experience and how I feel as genderfluid take a read at this thread http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/143524-am-i-just-queer.html

6. wanderinggirl

You could say it's a compression top, if you do athletics. Like, it enhances performance or something.

P.S. super exciting! Hope it works out for ya.

7. scarstar14

Congrats! I just ordered my first too! I hope it works out for you :slight_smile: my intention if a parent finds it (I'm 20 anyways so it's really none of their business anyways) but I plan to say it's a really tight sports bra, since I run and am rather large chested so it's passable.
    Be sure to let us know how it works out for you :slight_smile:

8. smokey-knows-all

I have a feeling if my mom finds out ill just say if im not what you wanted you shoulda adopted a kid like when she was trying to push female mannerisms on me when i first dated a girl cuz that shut her up pretty quick

9. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I must order one too! Congrats tho:slight_smile:

10. idream

idream Guest

I want one:/ the only way that's happening is if I tell my mother I wanna be a guy for halloween and sneak it in my backpack to school or something

11. Akane

Mine just came in TODAY!

Woot. Gunna post some photos soon. :slight_smile:

12. itsAli

Guys, just make sure you know the health and safety of binders
    Never wear them for more than 8 hours
    Never EVER sleep in them
    Don't do exercise in them because it can damage your ribs
    Don't order a size too small, trying to make it bind better, all it'll do is reduce how well you can breath
    Don't let it roll up as you're getting it on and off, because you will get stuck (if you're getting one that you pull on) and if you are getting one of those, it's easier just to climb into it
    Make sure you drink lots of water on hot days to make up for the sweating
    Hand wash it every 2 weeks at the least because it'll start smelling, and you won't notice it at first
    Invest in talcum powder and put it on your back to minimise sweating (and hopefully reduce the risk of back acne, due to the sweating and rubbing)

Stay safe
    (I've been using a binder for about 7 months now, and these are all the tips/do's/don'ts I know)