1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Jul 13, 2014.

1. itsAli

Since I started presenting male, after questioning my gender, my confidence has just tripled, I used to be really self concious when I presented and Identified as female, and all I've really done is cut my hair, wear traditionally masculine clothes with a binder, sorted my eyebrows out to look more masculine etc and now I'm just so confident! I was with an abusive ex for a year and he destroyed my confidence, I used to have an eating disorder and with dysphoria on top of that I hated myself. Now I can say "I'm attractive" and mean it (not all the time of course, but more often than before)

Has anyone else noticed this in themselves?

2. Raatox

Uhm, Oh, yes!
    I'm about the same as you and I feel sooo much more confident when thinking of myself a guy and wearing mens clothes :slight_smile:

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Er, not that confident, but yes, more confident.

Ever since I fully accepted that I was transgender, I began to love myself more. It's almost phenomenal.

And, super glad that you two gained more confidence. It's awesome.

4. itsAli

When I first thought about being transgender, I had so much internal transphobia it was unreal, I was in major denial and I cried and hated myself because of it, now I've embraced it and I feel so much happier and more confident

5. wanderinggirl

Wow you've come a long way. I applaud all the work you've gone through!

I used to crash diet regularly and feel so ugly and short. There were days I didn't want to leave the house because I looked so fat, and I refused to wear sleeveless anything or shorts, felt so awkward in dresses, tried to cover everything up. At some point I started dressing the way I was comfortable and accepting my body how it is, and one day realized I was no longer crash dieting. I also used to be self conscious about being too muscular, but now that I'm embracing my masculinity I not only don't mind it but I'm proud of my body. Except that in regards to gender presentation, cutting my hair made me feel more like a girl than long hair ever did. Weird!

It's a process to self acceptance, but you doing you is a huge step.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

My self-esteem has gotten really badly and I hate being trans a lot. But in public I definitely feel and act a lot more confident

7. birdking

SO MUCH IT'S RIDICULOUS

I used to be the quiet kid that everyone recognizes but no one actually knows their name. But now I've made the transformation into a goofy young man that tells jokes and meets people.

Gotta say, I'm liking it.

It started when I came out and since then it's kinda snowballed into what it is now. the key to everything is body language, folks. Once you stop hiding who you are it's easier to stand up straight.

8. itsAli

Yes oh my god, I had the WORST self esteem, I'd keep my head down and hardly talk, now I have loads of close friends at college, and I actually looked in the mirror properly last night, I haven't looked in one in 3 months because of dysphoria

9. Raatox

For me, I think the main part of it is that I now know who I am and do act as that person, not trying to be someone else. I tried beeing a girl for so long, but I never knew who I was supposed to be, and thus ended up with a non-existens self-esteem, lots of anguish, dysphoria and a sad heart, though, of course, I pretended to be happy, 'cause I thought I had no reason for my strange feelings.. Now I actually feel quite happy and i touch with my self and it's amazing :slight_smile: -...until someone misgender me or dysforia kicks in or so, but atleast I now know why I feel bad about it:rolle:

10. itsAli

I thought I had depression for years, I had days where I hated myself and I didn't know why, I didn't want to go out, I self harmed, but now I know who I am I'm a whole lot happier
    It's so odd isn't it? How just one small "Oh, that's who I am" can change your entire mood

11. Calix

Yup. My co-workers have noticed my confidence has increased tons since I came out and started presenting male :slight_smile: Even my parents have noticed, which is why I think they've decided to accept it.

12. itsAli

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow, so my confidence is probably gonna double

13. I feel that same way! Getting my first binder and buying clothes that make me feel good shot my self-esteem way way up, I can only imagine that cutting my hair in a couple weeks will do the same. It's a really great feeling! Congrats (!)

14. itsAli

Things are really looking up, I'm getting a second binder my friend doesn't want to wear swimming (the boob tube style) and swim trunks, my wardrobes slowly changing and I'm planning on presenting Male at college in September

15. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely! I used to want to hide and would give anything to be invisible and I always thought I looked awful.

Now, even though I look very much the same (just shorter hair and new clothes; still struggle to hide the cantaloupes on my chest) I feel different. More confident and better about myself for sure.

I still get nervous in public when people look directly at me, and that happens a lot... I'm not sure why. I'd like to think it's something positive but it always makes me feel weird. I think top dysphoria is the issue there but I digress.

In general, I am more confident. I think it's just as Raatox said - I know who I am and don't have to pretend anymore and feel confused about it. Even if I don't look the part yet and people still see me as female, I can be myself now and that feels pretty fucking awesome :slight_smile:

16. Acm

Acm Guest

I feel more confident in public but I've noticed that as I've started looking more androgynous, people stare at me sometimes which makes me uncomfortable because I don't want them to say anything to me in front of my mom :eek:

17. stormborn

i've become more confident in front of strangers, but less confident in front of people i know. i'm afraid they'll notice "something's up", i think.

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I have become way more confident since I have began presenting as male. It's amazing, because I never realized how little confidence I had before I came out as being transgender.

19. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Oh yeah. I used to be a very awkward, mousy female. Once I started passing as male, I was basically strutting around like a damn rooster. Way more confident. I mean, it's not and is never going to be a daily thing- I still have my days where I want nothing more than to curl up in a ball and sink into the floorboards but it's a good deal less than when I had to live as the wrong gender. I mean, now that I'm pretty much living full time as a guy, I've been a lot more social and out there than I ever was before.

20. Mogget

I wouldn't exactly say more confident, but when I stopped thinking of myself as male, I felt a lot more comfortable with myself. It's like I've been freed from something, but I can't put my finger on what I've been freed from.