1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hope to be presenting Male for college in September

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by itsAli, Jul 13, 2014.

1. itsAli

so in September I'll be in my second year of college, I have quite a few friends there, and some of them have left, most of my friend know that I'm trans, I want to go back to college as male, but I'm scared, people in my classes are used to me as my birth name, and I'm really nervous, does anyone have any advice?
    (College in England is the last two years of High School in America)

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My only advice is to be confident in who you are.

If you see someone scrutinizing you, don't look away. Stare them in the eyes and dare them to try to question your identity. Most likely, it'll unnerve them or clear most or all their suspicions. People usually don't tangle with confident people, after all.

In any case, good luck!

3. I'm thinking it might be helpful for you to let all your friends know what your plan is and let them show others by example how to handle this situation (i.e. new name, new pronouns, etc whatever is necessary)

It will be helpful to have other people ready to help explain because it would be exhausting doing it all yourself.

Next, is it possible to talk to someone at the school (teachers, counselors, etc) to let them know to call you something else before school even starts? I imagine that if your teachers are aware of what's going on, and refer to you appropriately, that it will mitigate some of the issues you could have with your classmates.

Best of luck to you!

4. itsAli

Thank you, I'm really excited, yet nervous because I don't know how good my college is with issues like this, I mean there's an LGB club, it's only for lesbian, gay and bisexual people, and even then they don't really like bisexuals in the club (It's run by two lesbian students) so...

5. lowkey

lowkey Guest

im either not knowledgeable enough or rather im confused. OP you were born a woman outside, but feel manly inside, so you are hoping to be able to successfully represent yourself as a male in school. im assuming you are pre-opt, and are into woman? just curious.

6. itsAli

I'm Female to Male, born female transitioning into a male, I've just started my transition. I'm not just interested in females and I have a boyfriend.

I've told some of my friends and my boyfriend that I'm doing this in september and they're all supportive and said they'd help correct people with pronouns

7. Yosia

I want to start presenting quite androgynous for september too lol.

8. lowkey

lowkey Guest

Okay, gotcha. interesting. do you plan on staying pre-opt? if not is that what you mean by 'doing this' in september? and if you are getting the operation is your boyfriend cool with that?

#8 lowkey, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. Auren

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The biggest thing I can think of, although it might not be possible if its more of a high school setting, is to see if you can call or speak with the teachers before class starts if you're hoping to use and be known by a different name than the name you were given at birth (or that will be on the roster). It could spare you a series of awkward moments when they take attendance out loud at first.

10. itsAli

Considering I'm 17 and it normally takes years to get a letter to get the operations...
    It doesn't matter to you if I am or if I'm not getting them, that's a little personal
    I mean I'm going to college as a guy, I will present as male and I will expect people to see me as such.

---------- Post added 14th Jul 2014 at 10:46 AM ----------

I may be able to do that, it's nothing like High school (the main reason I decided to go to college) thank you, any advice on what to say to them, I'd feel a little awkward.