1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out in college cancelled

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FtMart, Jul 14, 2014.

1. FtMart

So I was gonna come out in college and go to school as a guy and had planned for it until I found out my mom who's not supportive of me being trans is thinking about going to school with me. Urgh so close. I want my mom to continue her education but why with me? Thats just embarrassing. I mean she wouldn't be going at the same time and for another year but still. How would you guys feel about this?

2. Akane

This might be a set back and that sucks but maybe eventually you can come out even while she is going to the same college as you and if she sees your friends accepting you maybe seeing this will change her mind. :slight_smile:

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, even without thinking about the gender stuff, she's doing something that's not entirely reasonable. College is a time to be independent, and having your mom be there definitely takes away from the experience of living away from home. Are there no other options for her? Could she not attend another college? If there are other options, try convincing her that you need to be away from her during college so you can have the experience of being completely independent, and stuff like that. Really, unless there are no other reasonable options of colleges she could attend, there is no reason for her to insist on attending the same college.

If this is in fact her only reasonable option, I would say you should come out anyway. Maybe it will help her be more accepting, or maybe you can just hide it from her anyway. Just because she's nearby doesn't mean you can't be out to your friends without her knowing.

4. FtMart

Well im going to community college and she'll be going at different times than me but still...I guess I could with friends....a few people I know who are going to the same college and are my friends are excepting of me....

5. Akane

I think it might be able to work out in the end.