1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning gender and possible dysphoria(?)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mogget, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Mogget

I've never felt anything like physical or social dysphoria for most of my life, but since I've begun to question my gender identity, I've found myself way more aware of my facial hair and a severe uptick in how much I dislike having it. Likewise, when I question my questioning and think about going back to IDing as male, I feel sick. Is it normal to start having/noticing dysphoria (if what I have even qualifies) for the first time after you start questioning your gender?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

My dysphoria got a lot worse after I realized I was trans. I have had it all my life, but I never knew what it was

3. birdking

Yeah, sometimes having a name for the feeling makes you notice it more often.

Once I was diagnosed with ADHD I started noticing the symptoms of that more as well. I think that's pretty common for any affliction, disorder or what have you, including gender identity disorder.

4. Budweiser

If you believe you have a condition you may experience symptoms of that condition regardless of actual diagnosis. Physical, mental, and emotional states are effected by the belief or 'attitude' held by a person.

5. RainDreamer

Hmm...I can't answer this question with certainty, so I will give you a bit of my experience. Make of it what you will.

My homeland is a country where in our language, there were no word for transgenderism until recently. The concept did not exist back then. But I was a trans girl back then. I didn't understand what it was, but I can understand that something was wrong with me. I wouldn't call my experience then dysphoric, but more like, confused. I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin, and I love it when people say I looked like a girl, or people thought I was one online, but I had no idea why. I was just drifting around in that uncertainty, unable to do anything, because what would you do to something that you doesn't even know exist in the first place?

Then when I got a chance to study abroad to canada, things changed. I adapt a new language and immerse myself in the new culture. Then I found people with similar experience as me, but they had something I didn't: a name that they used to identify their condition.

As I finally grasp the concept of transgenderism, it was like a plug being released. All that muddle of ignorance, of uncertainty and confusion just drained away. But it dragged me along with it. I was shocked, stunned, and devastated by the knowledge of who I really am. It is the feeling when you realized that all the past years in your life was all a lie, and that you, yourself, were the liar. The feeling of self betrayal and hate was overwhelming. I find myself woken up from a bad dream, just to realize I am living in the nightmare that is being trapped within a body not my own, a prison of flesh. The depression that followed almost killed me. Dysphoria was what I would describe my every waking moment then.

As I finally found support in my life, and able to stand up on my own, I somewhat feel less dysphoric. Still, it comes around every now and then, reminding me of my situation. I don't even shave anymore due to fear of self harm when I get an episode and might skinning my own face off, and use tweezers instead. Would this all happen if I never found the concept of transgenderism and found myself? I doubt it. You can't notice something you don't know existing, that is what I think. It is only when I realized what has been happening to me that I finally experience severe dysphoria, as I slowly disassociating myself with my body.

That being said, not for one moment I regret knowing about my true self. Because of that knowledge, I can finally, truly, live.

I hope that help you somehow! >.<

6. Nick07

RainDreamer, that was a very honest and nice post. Thank you for sharing it.

7. Akane

Well I had dysphoria really bad during the first stages of puberty. And have had spouts of gender dysphoria at random times nowadays. But within that very day or the next day I am completely fine. But I guess that is genderfluidity for you.