1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ftm within alternative subcultures?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by smokey-knows-all, Jul 15, 2014.

1. smokey-knows-all

My style is sorta a war between goth, punk, and metal and im wondering how well this works with passing and stuff.
    Ive got a pretty good handle on androgynous male clothing its mostly hair im confused by

Punk- I know mohawks and stuff arent good for hiding feminine faces (and my mom would shoot me for shaving my head haha)
    Goth-A lot of gothic guys are rather femme anyway but idk if i want that
    As for metal, how good of a choice would the long flowy chest length hair be?

And names: Jayce or Seth? Kinda leanin to jayce do far but seths also badass do yeah

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I can't help you with the hair unfortunately but personally I like the name Seth a lot :slight_smile:

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If I where you I'd go with the mohawk and die it bright colors. I'm sure you can make a deal with your mom.

4. birdking

Mohawks aren't the only punk haircut. You could do something short and then spike it up and stuff. Here check these out.

Personally I like Seth.

5. smokey-knows-all

the mohawks the one i like from that category though haha.
    ive got some input from my friends an such and basically i just needa know how flattering the long flowy metalhead hair is

6. earthlvr510

I like Jayce :slight_smile: As for hair ive had a mohawk for ages and it helped me pass. It makes your face look longer.

7. smokey-knows-all

gr the internets confusing! haha

8. SockPuppet

The advantages of alternative subcultures when it comes to being FTM (or MTF for that matter) is, ideally, they are more accepting of other alternatives (I.E. gender identities). Granted, there are assholes anywhere, subculture or no, but who wants to deal with them, anyway. The types who are like: "You're wearing that/have that haircut/looking like that?! You are such a poser/faker/whatever." Yeah, fuck them. There is such a flow between various subcultures, and has been for a long time, that you should feel comfortable doing your hair (or experimenting with it in various ways) however you like.

In fact, I would encourage you to do that, try a lot of things until you found something you like, not necessarily worrying if it fit in with whatever subculture. It's hair, if you don't like something, cut it. If cutting it was the problem, well, it grows back. Hair is a fun way to express individuality when you're too young, or not ready, or not into tattoos, piercings and the like.

And I like Jayce a lot. It's different.
    That, and most of the Seth's I knew were bullies who picked on me when I was a kid for being too girly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. smokey-knows-all

Middle fingers to the world!