1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The trans narrative- or- feeling so old.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Raatox

Hi!

I accepted myself as trans just about the time that I went 25. I know that there is no "right age" to come out to oneself, but I feel so old. And like, now it's too late to transition and why didn't I realize earlier. I'm kind of mad at myself that I didn't get it at 14 when I first started to realize that I felt like a male and pretended I was a boy the whole time, but the image I had of ftms was nothing I could relate to and I tried running away from myself instead, thinking that I would one day grow up to feel like a girl. Well I didn't, and here I am:rolle:

Can someone relate to this? I'm just feeling so unsure and wierd..

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Some people don't realize they're trans until they're much, much older than you. There's an FTM blogger (can't remember the url right now) who didn't transition until his 40's, if that helps

3. Akane

No, that can't be right, it is never too late to transition. I knew a woman who was in her 50s and finally transitioned.

4. KayJay

I'm not as old but I always kick myself wishing I was brave enough to sort out my feelings, come out and get things going even before puberty.

5. Raatox

Thank you!

I think it's really a mixture of me beeing unsure of if i'm REALLY trans, since I didn't experience the "typicall trans narrative" , a sadness of knowing that I could have been living as a male for like 5 years by now (just an incredibly destructive way to think) and me beeing scared of transitioning 'cause I know it's gonna be a really hard thing to do, but I have to do it, beccause I want it and I've already started.
    Mostly the last thing i guess actually.
    It's so damn scary, but I want it so badly at the same time.

6. DhammaGamer

I didn't even know what trans was until I was 24. The first time I read about hormones I was like, "Where the hell have I been for 24 years?!" I started hormones at 25, and I think my transition has been incredibly successful thus far. I had very similar feelings as you, and sometimes I still do, but don't let it discourage you.

7. WillowRose

That I might be a woman didn't "click" for me until I was 32. The therapist I had at the time dismissed the idea and discouraged me from even considering transition. I didn't pick the idea back up again until this year -- age 51.

So I also don't have the "standard narrative," and I identify as a not-at-all-femme lesbian. So I am experiencing maybe a little more skepticism when I talk to my endocrinologist and my therapist about what I want and plan to do.

But one thing I've learned from reading about the last 80 or so years of trans* history is that the variety and diversity of our narratives is a lot broader than the media or the medical establishment would lead us to believe.

In short: you're not "too old," any more than I am. Our stories and our truths are what they are, and hurray for all of us!

8. smokey-knows-all

lucky little bastards that figure out as little pre pubescent kids :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: like comeon dude thats sooo not fair