1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing: Sex reconsidered after first impression?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Raatox

Hi!

Lately i've been able to pass to strangers quite often ((!)).
    But I'm just thinking, is it common for people to change their view of a persons sex after the first impression.

example:
    strangers says: Hey, you Guy, can you have a look at this?
    I respond to that and help him with his stuff.
    Is it likely that he will notice my high-pitched voice, my female hips, etc after a bit more interaction and re-consider my sex?
    Or, am I a guy (with some female characteristics) to him as I responded when he called me a guy?
    How does the mind work? ^^
    What is your experiences? have you experienced that someone changes their mind after the first impression?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

All the time. I've had co-workers who start calling me she after they've been around me for a while and they've heard my supervisors misgender me... And a few times, there are strangers who'll gender me as male only, over the course of the conversation, eventually ask if I'm a girl. It's really really annoying, believe me. Usually what 'gives me away' is my voice and my body. I'm lacking an adam's apple, see, and even though I look boyish, once you factor in my body, it's a very thin line between being misgendered and passing.

What's funny is that most of the time, it's women who usually misgender me. I almost always pass around men.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Once someone asked me whether I was a girl or a boy and I just said "Uhh..." and then they were like "Oh, you're a girl" :dry:

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

This is actually how a coworker found out I was trans. I was carpooling home with bunch of coworkers, one (a guy) comments on how everyone calls me she even though he and the other guy I'm working with have always known me as a guy. Female coworker comments "OH. I thought you were a girl!!!"

"No, I'm a guy," I answer back.

"Are you gay?"

"...um, yes...? I have a boyfriend."

(Some time later)

Girl: "I seriously thought you were a girl. Do you have boobs?"

Me: "I was born female though"

I figured it was gonna come out anyway. Everyone in my district receives contact info for coworkers and mine's listed under my birth name with my real name (Byron) as a side note.

"THAT'S SO COOL. Howmuchdiditcost? Do you have a penis? Can i see you naked after you do everything??"

Me: "um...."

Other guys in car: *shrug*

Haven't seen girl since, the guys haven't treated me differently since I came out though

5. stormborn

depending on the person, they might switch pronouns, or assume you have some not-typical characteristics of the gender they take you as, or even ask you mid-conversation. i've had that last one happen a lot.:rolle:

drwinchester, it's funny that you say women usually misgender you, and you pass to men -- i'm the opposite! i almost always pass to women, but less often to men. i figured cis guys had some sort of mystical ability to sniff out their own... :lol:

6. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Yea, I pass often times, as a prepubescent boy though. I work at my dad's ups store so I have had people call me sir, he/him, although mostly women sometimes bother to ask whether I'm his son. At this point it gets a bit awkward. I've also been called a young man, but then he corrected himself sadly. What's funny is that I've actually had the opposite happen to me. This old guy coming in for copies called me young lady at first, and I guess he saw some dissatisfaction in my face, then later corrected himself as he was leaving, apologizing for calling me a girl, and I think he meant it.

7. Nick07

Byron, that girl was really a piece of work... You could ask her if you all in the car could see HER naked right then.