1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Hunting and Transition

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justjade, Jul 15, 2014.

1. justjade

I'm looking to move to North Canton, OH with my husband, and I'm looking for jobs up that way. This makes me extremely nervous. How does one hunt for jobs while socially transitioning? For those of you who are out to your employer, what was the process like? Has it influenced the way your boss and/or coworkers treat you?

I'd like as much insight as I can get. I'm really nervous and not sure what to do in the way of preparing for interviews. How should I present myself? Is there anything I can do to avoid discrimination? I'd like to not present female at work, but I'm scared I either won't pass or cause friction.

#1 justjade, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. smokey-knows-all

you could just present as male from the start and if they question your gender you can just say something like you've got some hormone condition that makes your voice high or causes boobs or whatever your issue with passing is

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Where you live might be, unfortunately, a factor. I was out to my employer from the get go. I applied as female, introduced myself as male and explained the discrepancy. Came right in wearing slacks, a dress shirt, packing and binding. I have a supervisor who refuses to gender me properly, employees who don't because of that supervisor. But I've had co-workers who still gender me correctly even after they knew I was trans. Plus one who's obsessed with my trans status.

4. justjade

You know, I'd thought about that excuse for the fact that I can't grow facial hair: "Oh, it's some genetic issue." I mean, it's true. It's genetic. I'm genetically female which prevents me from growing facial hair. :lol:

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2014 at 11:27 PM ----------

Basically, all that stuff you said, that's what I'm afraid of. I've gotta say, at least they hired you anyway though and that you have some who respect you. I'm hoping that I can get a job despite my gender identity. I figure that, if I can get my foot in, I'll be OK, but I know how miserable a job can be with uncooperative coworkers, no matter how few of them there are.