1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrified of coming out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Minnie

I've been in my new flat for two weeks, with 3 other people. One knows that I'm transgender/questioning-but-fairly-sure. She told another (who I told months ago I felt "bigendered or something") because I'd changed my gender on Facebook (that's how she found out, then asked me about it). One still doesnt know. I bind and I think it's somewhat obvious, depending on what I'm wearing. Today, just a few minutes ago, I got very distressed/panicky about it after being called by my birth name by one of my friends, like he was calling for who he thought I was rather than who I am. I just don't think I can keep it to myself any more. I don't want to keep pretending to be someone I'm not. Even if I'm being myself (which is hard to do because I have mental health problems and dissociate a lot) I still know they don't know. I'm okay with it when it doesn't matter but I think it's going to get worse.

2. birdking

Do you have a good support network? i.e. friends who you KNOW will not be judgmental? Do you have a few people you can trust?

You can still come out even if you don't have a support network but it will suck. I have 2 very close friends that would never leave me, no matter WHAT I threw at them. That's all you really need.

No one's ever really READY to come out, but you need to get as close to "ready" as possible.

Don't come out if you don't feel safe.