1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting used to prefered name and pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Raatox, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Raatox

Hi!
    I came out to a bunch of friends a few days ago, they where really supportive and nice and used my male nickname and male pronouns.
    But, the thing is, beeing considered 'male' by my friends feels a bit strange. Not bad really, but a bit scary and new.
    This made me a bit confused, cause when i pass to strangers it feels amazing.
    How was it for you? Did it take time to get used or did it feel 'normal' the first time?

2. KayJay

Actually to me it was really normal since I had been going by Kelsey and female pronouns online for a year or two before I even came out in real life.

I can definitely see how if it is also new for you it may feel strange.

3. stormborn

it feels a bit strange to me, too! probably because i'm so used to them treating me one way. but i think over time it will get easier!

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haven't came out and haven't went by new pronouns or names yet, but the few times my sisters pulled the 'male pronoun' thing on me, it felt REALLY awkward and weird, but also SUPER good.

I think, to get used to it, try telling online people to refer to you as your chosen name, and join a few group chats so they can refer to you by your pronouns.

5. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. But I think my issues are mostly caused by my mother, who corrects anyone who refers to me as "sir" and get angry at me afterwards. So I still unconsciously raise my voice around people even if I'm alone......
    But with that said, I love it when people call me "sir". And since my given name is already very unisex/masculine I see no point in changing that.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

It took me a little while to get used to my new name (only my internet friends use it at this point) but after a while it started to feel more right and now female name/pronouns stick out and feel wrong.

7. birdking

every time someone calls me sir I get like a 5 minute self esteem boost

but yeah! new stuff is hard to get used to. I wouldn't worry about it.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It took me some time to get used to my male name and pronouns being used. After being called by my female name and female pronous for so long, it was weird for me to be called male. Since I have come out more, I have gotten more used to it. It still feels good though.