1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clash of the pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MycroftTARDIS, Jul 20, 2014.

1. MycroftTARDIS

This, last, and next week I'm "working" as a counselor at a music camp. I'm working with a group of kindergartners who are all convinced (rightfully!) that I am a male. It's really great to have people calling me by male pronouns,the kids in both my morning and afternoon groups do, and the trumpet teacher did last week, but most of the other counselors and all the teachers I work with on a daily basis see me as female. One of my friends keeps telling me to tell the kids I'm a girl, and twice a teacher has told the kids off for calling me Mr. Silly Guy. It makes me feel bad seeing them get reprimanded for something that wasn't bother me in the slightest and is actually correct. I want to explain to the teachers that I'm trans, I don't mind male pronouns, and it would be great if they did so too, but I feel really awkward saying that. Help?? :confused:

2. stormborn

could you talk to whoever is in charge of the teachers, and have them send out a memo to the teachers? or send an email or something to all of the teachers?

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i agree with stormborn, sounds like an easy fix, hopefully

4. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I would tell the teachers that you prefer male pronouns (or at least tell them that you don't mind, and that they don't need to reprimand the kids)

5. WillowRose

What they said. Also, best thread title ever.

6. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :roflmao: yes, thought it had a different title, came on now and saw that someone else relpied and thought it said CLASH OF THE TITANS!

7. MycroftTARDIS

Lolz!
    I'll talk to someone higher-up. :grin:

#7 MycroftTARDIS, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  8. WillowRose

Let us know how things come out for you.

9. MycroftTARDIS

I talked with two of the teachers I work with, and they said that they discourage the kids calling me Mr. Silly Guy because "they need to learn not to call people names other than their given ones." I also had a chat with the Teen Apprentice coordinator, although that was about how to respond to little children questioning my gender in a way that will make sense to them. This was her idea, as one of the kids in my group went up to the office with a bloody nose and asked the director what I'd meant by telling him that I'm a girl, but I want to be a guy. The coordinator was super understanding of my gender identity and it was wheee!!! :icon_bigg

10. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats Mycroft(!)
    *noticing that Sherlock (moi) is, in real life, three years older than Mycroft*:eek:

11. stormborn

that's great to hear! i hope it keeps going well!

12. MycroftTARDIS

One of the kids in my afternoon group keeps trying to take my shirt off....it's really weird.
    Apperently she did this to my other friend, whoes gender is very obvious.
    Little children are scary. :slight_smile: